Pages Of Power 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» This or That
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:51 pm by Donald McKinney

» Getting to know you
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:50 pm by Donald McKinney

» Favourite Song Of
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» The Pointless Movie Game
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» Four Letter Word Game
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm by Donald McKinney

» Favourite Film Of
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm by Donald McKinney

» Word Association
What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm by Donald McKinney

What I've just watched

Go down 
+5
Donald McKinney
Gimli The Avenger
chocaholicmags
Silver
Jinks
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage

What I've just watched - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 6:27 pm

What I've just watched - Page 16 Dvd.ht11

6/10
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 am

Silver, I notice you saw The Dish recently. Glad you liked it, love that film.

Made Of Honor, Street Kings, Yours Mine and Ours, My Super Ex-Girlfriends and Trust The Man (all 1st views) - Lumping them altogether as I havent got much to say. Four predictable romantic comedies and an illogical crime drama. All reasionably entertaining, all could have been better - 3/5
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Gimli the Dreary wrote:
Silver, I notice you saw The Dish recently. Glad you liked it, love that film.

Need to watch it again really, was only half watching.

Watched a Disney animated movie the other day, Dinosaur, which was excellent! (4/5), Gone Baby Gone was even better. Superb story brilliantly acted and an interesting ending (5/5), The Trouble With Harry was my latest Hitchcock and had a different feel to most of what I've seen so far, plenty of funny moments (3/5)
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 1:54 am

I saw Dinosaur back at the cinema, and it was one of my very first DVDs. It got a lot of stick when it came out, but I like it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974), this is one of the few Martin Scorsese films that alot of people forget about. Although it did very well upon it's original release, it had a spin-off TV series, it benefits from a very strong lead performance, and it highlights the future greatness of what was to come from Scorsese. It tells the story of Alice Hyatt (Ellen Burstyn), a housewife whose husband dies in a car crash. Facing a clean slate, she moves out and goes out on the road with her son Tommy (Alfred Lutter), Alice wants to make a new life for herself as a singer. They find themselves in Tuscon, Arizona. Alice's ambition of becoming a singer doesn't quite work out, and she ends up working as a waitress in a local diner, which is hard work, but she gets by, and she finds solace in the presence of a regular to the diner, farmer David (Kris Kristofferson). This is a very powerful but in places light-hearted drama, it's low-key, and it would be nice to see Scorsese go back and do low budget work like this. It came inbetween Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976), and it's just as good as those two films. Burstyn's brilliant and powerful performance as Alice won her an Oscar, and look out for Harvey Keitel and a young Jodie Foster in cameos!! Wink 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Alicedoesntlivehereanym

The Dark Knight (2008), Batman Begins 2, and this is also the best Batman film too!! Very Happy This has Bruce Wayne's alter-ego crusade Batman (Christian Bale) and Lt. James Gordon (Gary Oldman) determined to crack down on organised crime in Gotham City, they've teamed up with popular district attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) to put a stop to it, but there's a new threat in the city, in the form of a psychotic, menacing bank robber known as The Joker (Heath Ledger), who seems to be one step ahead of the Caped Crusader. Wink Director Christopher Nolan has a great time creating a dark mood and has a ball creating the jaw-dropping action sequences, but also has time for deception here and there, (typical of him.) Whilst Bale gives Batman a dark, human quality, the film belongs to Heath, having the time of his life playing the Joker with much demented and horrific glee, Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero he ain't. What a pity poor Heath never lived to see it. :sad: But, his legacy will live on, and along with the rest of the cast and crew, has given the Batman series a good name once again!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Darkknightver5ck3
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:15 am

True North (1st view) – Drama about about Scottish fishermen who decide to smuggle some Chinese immigrant into the UK from Belgium, but it isn’t long before guilt and tragedy come calling. Well-acted by all – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 3207565255

All Or Nothing (1st view) – Brilliant film from Mike Leigh. Grim from the very first frame and it stays like that throughout as it shows us the lives of three families on a London council estate. Leigh’s improvisational style works wonders, and pretty much the entire cast is superb. It’s the kind of film in which discussions about the price of petrol or the expiry dates of bread rolls tell us just as much about the characters as the more important events.
Excellent – 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-All_or_Nothing_DVD_cover

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2nd view) – Surprisingly sweet drama about a group of lonely people who find love and friendship. A bit too quirky at times, but endearing – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Meandyouandeveryone

Sawdust and Tinsel/Gycklarnas afton (1st view) – A ringmaster of an ailing circus goes and visits his wife and children who he left three years earlier, a decision which angers his new girlfriend. Of the Ingmar Bergman films I’ve seen so far, this is my least favourite, but it still has much to applaud – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Sawdusttin150l

Push (1st view) – Took me a bit by surprise this one. It gets a bit overblown during the final action scenes, and some of the best characters get forgotten about in the final third, but with it’s gang of psychic heroes (a sort of cross between the X-Men and Danny Ocean’s mob), this works well within the universe it’s created. I’d like to see another instalment – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Pushposter08

My House In Umbria (1st view) – Survivors of a terrorist attack on a train go to Maggie Smith’s Italian country home to convalesce. The picturesque setting is appealing and there’s a fine cast (Chris Cooper, Ronnie Barker, Timothy Spall) but the resolution of the story is a bit too neat – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-My_house_in_umbria_film_poster
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 7:17 pm

What I've just watched - Page 16 Dvd_ironman

8/10
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Millions (2004), before Danny Boyle won his Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire, he did another feel-good film involving money. This is also one of his most underrated films, it's a charming little British film, with two good young lead performances and handling fantasy without being sentimental. Set in Widnes, Cheshire, it has two young brothers Damien (Alexander Nathan Etel) and Anthony (Lewis McGibbon) moving to a new housing estate with their recently widowed father Ronnie (James Nesbitt). Damien is fascinated by Saints, and often sees them. He also plays in a cardboard castle next to a railway line. One day, a big bag of money falls out of nowhere, and he thinks it's from above, (it's actually from a train robbery). There's about £200,000 in the bag, and there's one big problem, the UK is about to change from the Pound to the Euro, and Damien and Anthony need to get it spent without the grown-ups finding out!! It's a lovely little film, and although it has it's dark overtones, it's a very sweet little fable, and it's brilliantly made, and the two lads in the leads are wonderful and convincing. It's a complete contrast to alot Boyle's previous films, but he's a good visual director, and it's got appearances from Daisy Donovan, Alun Armstrong and Leslie Phillips!! Very Happy 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Millionsxlg

The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976), a slight reimagining of the Cinderella fairy tale, directed by Bryan Forbes and produced by David Frost. It's a sugar-coated romantic fantasy, beautifully shot and with a good cast, but it does feel a tad overblown and old-fashioned. Set in the tiny European kingdom of Euphrania, ruled by a clueless King (Michael Hordern), his son Prince Edward (Richard Chamberlain), is looking for a bride. Meanwhile, the recently orphaned Cinderella (Gemma Craven), is down because of her mean Stepmother (Margaret Lockwood), and stepsisters Isobella (Rosalind Ayres) and Palatine (Sherrie Hewson), who treat her like a slave. But, Cinderella has a kindly Fairy Godmother (Annette Crosbie), who makes her life a little bit easier, and even helps Cinderella go to the ball at the Royal Palace, and as the story of Cinderella goes, there's the glass slipper, and royal politics getting in the way of happily ever after. It's a daring thing to make a film like this in a time when no romantic fantasy musical, (the songs by The Sherman Brothers are good, but hardly memorable.) It's beautifully made and it makes for good family viewing on a wet afternoon. Razz 3.5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Slipperandtherose
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 am

The Libertine (1st view) – Johnny Depp was certainly the best thing about this, though the design, music and supporting cast can’ be faulted either, it just wasn’t all that interesting – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-The_Libertine_film

Jarhead (2nd view) – Is there some law that says that all films showing military training need to have a drill sergeant who shouts and swears in a comical manner? Not a bad film, but I preferred the book – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Jarhead

V for Vendetta (2nd view) – Well I like it, but I imagine the graphic novel is quite a bit more dense and complex. I should read it really, by all accounts I’m in for a treat – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Vforvendettamov
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 7:34 pm

What I've just watched - Page 16 17755114-17755118-large

5/10
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:35 am

I love The Lion In Winter. Hepburn and O'Toole are excellent.
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 9:42 am

Yeah, and you get appearances from a young Timothy Dalton and a young Anthony Hopkins!! Wink Anyways... Razz

Slumdog Millionaire (2008), Danny Boyle went to India for his 8th film, and he returned with one of his best works. A film that is heartwarming, funny, poignant and exciting, it's beautifully shot and brings out the best of the city of Mumbai. It has street kid Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) finding himself on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? In which he finds himself one question away from winning the jackpot of 20 Million Rupees. During a break, he is arrested, and is questioned on how he could possibly know the answers to the questions. He tells his life, and explains how his eventful life has a connection with the questions asked, and how it is all part of the destiny of life. It's a triumph for director Danny Boyle, who captures the vividness and tenacity of the slums of Mumbai, but it all looks beautiful. Even the cast knock out top notch performances, and it will have you on the edge of your seat and cheering along by the end of the film. It's a Bollywood film for those who have never seen a Bollywood film, but it is a very passionate film in which it's visuals are breathtaking and majestic. It'll be good tourism for India as well!! Wink 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 30282wi4
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Murder She Said (1961), during the early 1960's, 4 films featuring Agatha Christie's Miss Marple were produced by MGM, and was portrayed by the inimitable and incomparable Margaret Rutherford. This was the first of those films, and it's a wonderfully cheery little detective film, with good performances and good dialogue. Based upon Christie's book '4.50 from Paddington', it begins with Miss Marple (Rutherford) on a train journey from London, and apparantly witnessing a murder on a train passing by. So, she decides to investigate further after the police investigation turns up nothing, and it takes her to Ackenthorpe Hall, which is right next to the railway. She is able to get a job in the hall as a maid, working for the catankerous Luther Ackenthorpe (James Robertson Justice), and she has to find who committed the murder. Rutherford made a wonderful Miss Marple, and although the police dismiss her as a 'dotty spinster', she is very clever and Rutherford handles the detection and humour wonderfully. Complimented with a cheerful score by Ron Goodwin, Murder She Said has a good cast including Thorley Walters, Charles 'Bud' Tingwell, Richard Briers, Peter Butterworth and future Miss Marple, Joan Hickson. Wink Razz 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Murdershesaid

The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970), a biting political satire of Britain coming from the late 1960's and into the 1970's, observed by Peter Cook and friends, and produced by his one-time rival David Frost. It has dated a bit since it's release, but in places, it does ring true and feel a bit relevant in places. It begins with the mysterious and idealistic Michael Rimmer (Peter Cook) appearing at an opinion poll company, ran by Mr. Ferrett (Arthur Lowe), and taking over the company. Through doing opinion polls, he's able to make a shift into politics, where he works as a government spin doctor for the Conservatives. Then, after a fatal accident with the PM and a lump of gold on an oil rig, Rimmer soon finds himself considered as the next PM!! It's got it's moments, Peter Cook did the script with John Cleese and Graham Chapman, (who both appear in the film), it has dated, but Rimmer is such a Machiavellian charmer, and it makes you wonder if that's how a politician or two these days made it to where they are now with similiar methods. Razz But, it's cast makes up for any shortfalls, including Denholm Elliott, Harold Pinter, George A. Cooper, Dudley Foster, Norman Rossington, Julian Glover and Ronnie Corbett!! Very Happy 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Michael20rimmer20pack20
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Gran Torino (2008), Clint Eastwood returns to the screen, and as well as directing his latest film, he also acts in it, his first acting role since Million Dollar Baby (2004), it's a low-key affair, but it packs one hell of a punch. And it proves that for a man of 78, he still has the ability to knock out another great performance, and he can direct a powerful film too. Set in a multi-cultural suburb of Detroit, Michigan. It has Clint as Walt Kowalski, a prejudiced, meanass Korean War veteran, whose wife has recently died, and he still chooses to hold on to his beliefs, even as Chinese neighbours move in next door to him. However, after their neighbours young son Thao Vang Lor (Bee Vang), is threatened by his cousins gang, Walt steps in and becomes a hero among the local Chinese community, and he even helps to reform Thao as a better person, and deal with the gang. It's a low-key and slow burning film, but it's a powerful and emotional film, and even though Clint plays a character who is despised by his family and others in the neighbourhood, you come to care about him, and you even want to cheer him on. There's rumour that this could be the last time we see Clint on screen, from this, you'll want to see him do more acting again. Smile 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Grantorinoxlgzv1

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993), Woody Allen's reputation was at stake around the time of this films making, due to a crippling court case. But, despite such controversies, he was knocking his films out, and he made a sort of throwback to his "early, funny ones" with this film, which was based upon an aborted sub-plot from Annie Hall (1977). It has long married couple Larry and Carol Lipton (Woody and Diane Keaton), who meet their long time neighbours Paul and Lillian House (Jerry Adler and Lynn Cohen) one evening and become friends. The next day, they discover Lillian died of a heart attack, but Paul's explanation of how she died doesn't seem to add up. Carol decides to investigate further, with the help of Ted (Alan Alda), much to the ire of Larry, who is in a close friendship with writer Marcia (Anjelica Huston), and the suspicions of murder get weird. It's an underrated film from Woody Allen, made at a tough time in his career, but it makes for an enjoyable watch. It is blessed with good performances and some very good dialogue. Oh, and look out for a cameo from a young Zach Braff as the Lipton's son Nick!! Shocked Very Happy 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Mmmn
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am

Where The Truth Lies (1st view) – Kevin Bacon should get more lead roles, he’s on often overlooked actor. Excellent in this noir-ish thriller, Colin Firth also makes an impression though Alsion Lohman is probably miscast and some the sex scenes seems to be there simply because they can be. Worthwhile though, another winner from Atom Egoyan – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Where_the_truth_lies

Cinderella Man (2nd view) – It takes a few liberties with the truth, and it wears its heart in its sleeve, but I really like this. Russell Crowe and , especially Paul Giamatti excel, there’s a nice score from Thomas Newman and I don’t think there’s been any sporting scenes this good since Raging Bull – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Cinderella_Man_poster

Gran Torino (1st view) – A few of the gang scenes seem simplistic and overly stereotypical, but this is really Clint’s film. It’s hard to imagine it working with any other actor in the role, it’s certainly his best performance since Unforgiven – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Gran_Torino_poster

Under The Tuscan Sun (1st view) – Probably the most predictable film I’ve seen all year. Still, passes the time well enough – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Mad Max (1979), this is where it all began. It would make a star out the then unknown Mel Gibson, and would put it's director, George Miller firmly on the map. It was made for peanuts, but it unleashed car chases and crashes and it's titular iconic hero upon an unsuspecting movie-going public. Set in a post-apocalyptic Australia, where law and order has well and truly broken down, and biker gangs and punks rule and terrorise the roads. One highway police officer Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson), is one such cop. But, when his his best friend Jim Goose (Steve Bisley), wife Jessie (Joanne Samuel) and baby are killed by a biker gang led by the evil Toecutter (Hugh Keays-Byrne), Max makes it personal, and becomes judge, jury and excutioner, and goes after Toecutter and his gang. It's a very violent film, and the car crashes are very realistic, and the car chases are very well shot, and it was made for a meagre $350,000 at the time. Mel makes a good leading man, and he became a megastar after this, his Max is a tough, fearless man. But, when the action gets too close to home, you won't like his bad side!! Aussie cinema has never been the same since. Razz 4/5

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), with the first Mad Max film now a global success. Director George Miller and his team were given more money for another film. It's alot more epic in scope, and it's better than the first film as well, it's a contender for one of the best action films ever made as well. This is now set a few years down the line from the first film, and Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson) has since abandoned the police force he once worked for, and he is now a lone wanderer of the dangerous open roads of Australia, where punk biker gangs roam around causing terrorism to innocent drivers. In this future, petrol is rare and is much sought after. Max learns of a small community which run a remote oil refinery. He goes there only to discover that the community is being terrorised by one such biker gang, who want their fuel. Knowing the community won't be able to stave the gang off forever, Max may be their only hope. It's a gripping and very exciting action film, and it's offbeat look gives it a realistic edge, the final chase where Max in a tanker vs. a gang of punks on bikes and their modified cars is one of the best car chase sequences ever filmed, it seals the deal for an already brilliant film!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Tnmad20max20double20bil

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), now an established franchised, George Miller and Co. went for a trilogy with this one. It isn't as good as the first two, and alot of the violence has been toned down for this installment. (Maybe for commercial reasons), but it's got it's good moments which outweigh any of the film's shortcomings, and Mel is as good as ever. This film now has Max (Gibson), coming upon a human outpost in the middle of the desert called Bartertown, ran by the savvy and ruthless Aunty Entity (Tina Turner), and the towns power comes from methane. Max is used as a pawn in a game between Entity and Master Blaster (Angelo Rossitto and Paul Larsson), after fighting in the gladiatoral ring, the Thunderdome, Max finds himself exiled from Bartertown, and Max soon finds himself being hailed as a saviour by a colony of children living in the desert. It's a much different film to the first two, as it takes the action off the road and into a different environment altogether. It doesn't feel the same, and Tina Turner's presence was mere stunt casting, but the action gets into gear towards the end, and the final train chase sequence is well done, it's a pity there wasn't more of it earlier in the film. The Thunderdome sequence is cool too. 3.5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Madmaxbeyondthunderdome
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 am

Devi/The Goddess and Days and Nights In The Forest (both 1st view) – I’ve never seen a film by Satyajit Ray before, and here two come along at once. I’d certainly be happy to look out for some more of his films, as these were both very good, quietly understated dramas – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Dvd_devi_satyajit_ray What I've just watched - Page 16 Aranyer+Din+Ratri

Failure to Launch (1st view) – Even for me and my love of dodgy rom-coms, this was a hard slog. It’s only really worthwhile for Zooey Deschanel and Justin Bartha, and especially the scene it which Justin gives CPR to a bird (well it made me chuckle Very Happy), Otherwise, a waste of space – 2/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Failure_to_Launch
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

The Birds (1963), Alfred Hitchcock was one of the most prolific filmmakers of his day, and he made so many recognisable films. After the success of Psycho (1960), he turned his attentions to adapting a short story by Daphne du Maurier, originally intended for his TV show, but spurred on by hearing about a real incident with birds in 1961, he saw the cinematic potential. The Birds opens with Melanie Daniels (Tippi Hedren), a rich young socialite who wishes to buy an myna bird for her aunt, at the pet shop, she meets lawyer Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor), who she knows from a previous encounter, and Melanie finds herself attracted to him, and she delivers two lovebirds for Mitch's younger sister Cathy (Veronica Cartwright). She drives out to the isolated Bodega Bay in Northern California to deliver these two birds, but there's more where they came from... What starts out with the tone of a screwball comedy soon decends into downright horror as birds of all kinds start to attack the people of Bodega Bay, and once it starts, Hitchcock keeps the mood tense and gripping, even more so than Psycho. It's a nasty film, but it's brilliantly done. The electronic sounds of birdcries and wingflaps are horrific, and add to the mood. 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Birdsxlg

The Twelve Chairs (1970), after his small success with The Producers (1968), Mel Brooks pursued an interesting project, based on a classic piece of Russian literature by Ilya Ilf and Yevgeny Petrov. It's not the sort of film you would expect Mel Brooks to make, but it is one of the most underrated films ever made, and one of his best. Set in the Soviet Union in 1927, it has former aristocrat Ippolit Matveevich Vorobyaninov (Ron Moody) being told by his dying mother of a fortune in jewels hidden in one of twelve chairs, which is now being held by the Soviet State. So, Ippolit, along with young con-man Ostap Bender (Frank Langella) try to find where the twelve chairs went, also on their tail is the ruthless Father Fyodor (Dom Deluise), who gave Ippolit's mother her last rites, and learned the secret from her too. Filmed in Yugoslavia, it's a very gentle comedy from Mel Brooks, different to what we would normally expect from him in the next decade or so. But, it's a good story, and it mixes gentle slapstick with good parts from Moody, Langella and Deluise. It's tone predates what Woody Allen did with Love and Death (1975). It's a shame Brooks never tackled more comedy like this, he did well with this one. 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Twelvechairsxlg
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:30 am

Bolt 3D (1st view) - I hadn't planned on seeing this until my local cinema started to show the 3D version, and as such it's the first 3D film I've seen, the sensation of which worked remarkable well (even the trailers!). Bolt doesn't reach the heights of Pixar, but it's better than a lot of recent CGI films, and does have some very funny and thrilling scenes. Rhino the hamster steals the show! Very Happy - 4/5

Also included was a short film called Tokyo Mater, featuring Mater and Lightning McQueen from Cars. Mater ends up in Tokyo and ends up in a street race. I loved Cars a great deal but compared togother Pixar short films with established characters, this was a bit disappointing - 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 BoltPoster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Watchmen (2009), Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' legendary comic book was brilliant on the page, and it seemed impossible to translate to the big screen. It's spent 2 decades in development hell, until Zack Snyder turned up after the success of 300, and has had a go. And he has succeeded with flying colours, it's very faithful but with the odd space for personal invention. Set in an alternate 1985 where America won the Vietnam War, Nixon is still in the White House and the Cold War has heated up dramatically, Edward Blake (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), who was a former costumed hero called The Comedian, is murdered in his apartment, masked vigilante Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) investigates, and the lives of other former costumed heros such as Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson), Silk Spectre (Malin Akerman) and Ozymandias (Matthew Goode) is put as risk, and superhuman Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup) has literally vanished from the face of the Earth. It could have been a disaster, but it isn't, Snyder's vision of the comic book is exquisite, it captures the spirit of the comic brilliantly, it's blessed with brilliant visuals and it has good performances to it's name. It's finally made it, and the result is one of the best comic book films of all time. And Alan Moore may just be proud of this film, but he won't admit it!! Wink 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Watchmenzacksnyderusatt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 7:34 pm

What I've just watched - Page 16 G36140

8/10
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 am

I love The Golden Age!

Gone Baby Gone (2nd view) - Following on from his turn in The Assassination Of Jesse James, the younger Affleck shows himself to be an actor of considerably more talent than his brother who in turn proves himself to be well at home behind the camera. Michelle Monaghan and Morgan Freeman both acquit themselves well, but it's Amy Ryan and Ed Harris who deliver the most memorable performances. Doesn’t quite hold up as well second time round, but still darn good. – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Gone_baby_gone_poster

Half Nelson (1st view) - Ryan Gosling is the main reason to watch this, giving a superb performance as the drug-addicted teacher. The film itself is also a nice variation on films that deal with teachers and impoverished school kids – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Half_Nelson

Séance On A Wet Afternoon (1st view) - Superb, one of those films you wish you’d seen years ago. Kim Stanley is the medium who convinces her brow-beaten husband Richard Attenborough into kidnapping a young girl, so that she can gain recognition by helping the police solve the case. Tense, thoughtful and compelling – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Seance
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 pm

A Dirty Shame (2004), John Waters is Baltimore's greatest filmmaker, and here, he creates his most sexually perverse and also his most hilarious film in years. It's as trashy as his early works, but watching this will make you wish Waters could make more films like this. It might not be for everyone, but it's much more amusing than most other comedies out today. The film has Sylvia Stickles (Tracey Ullman), a sexually repressed uptight woman, who refuses to have sex with her husband Vaughn (Chris Isaak) and her daughter Caprice (Selma Blair) has huge breasts and performs under the name of Ursula Udders. Sylvia suffers a nasty blow to the head and becomes a sex addict, and becomes involved with a local underground movement of sex addicts, led by Ray-Ray (Johnny Knoxville), much to the horror of Sylvia's mother Big Ethel (Susanne Shepherd), who campaigns for decency in the neighbourhood. Now, why aren't there more films like this?? Razz Waters creates a filthy but sweet sex film, it's perverse, taking pleasure in showcasing alot of sex fetishes. But, it contains alot of his trademark trashy dialogue and over-acting, but it makes for a very enjoyable film!! Very Happy 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Dirtyshame

Spetters (1980), before Paul Verhoeven went to Hollywood with big budget films like Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers. He was a very respected Dutch filmmaker, whose speciality were violent films with gratuitous sex in them. And they don't get much gratuitous than his offering from 1980, which is a simple and powerful drama with some moments that'll make your jaw drop!! Shocked Set in and around Rotterdam, it has three youths, Rein (Hans van Tongeren), Eef (Toon Agterberg) and Hans (Maarten Spanjer), who are amateur dirt-bike racers. They are followers of world champion biker Gerrit Witkamp (Rutger Hauer), and want to follow in his footsteps. Meanwhile, the 3 of them become involved with the gold-digging Fientje (Renée Soutendijk), a gold-digger who shows up in town with her brother Jaap (Peter Tuinman), and they sell chips out of the back of their caravan. The 3 youths are in love with her, but it has horrible consequences on their lives. Verhoeven made some brilliant films in the Netherlands, and this is one of the most extreme, made notorious by 2 explicit gay scenes in a subway!! Shocked But, it is a very good and very powerful biker drama, a timepiece of lost youth and there is a dark truth to it all. 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Spetters
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 am

Sword Of Xanten (1st view) – Ha, this was great. A TV movie from 2004 complete wit cursed treasure, kingly ghosts, shapeshifting headgear, swords forged from meteorites, dragons, magical potions and a whole host of dodgy effects. Benno Furman stars as a the heir to the kingdom of Xanten, who is raised by blacksmith Max Von Sydow and then falls in love with Kristina Loken, Queen of Iceland. It’s useless and I really liked it . Unlike my next film – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Swordofxanten

The Benchwarmers (1st view) – Crap! - 2/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 200px-Benchwarmers_poster

Watchmen (1st view) – I pretty much loved it. As close to as good an adaptation as it could have been I expect. True, it doesn’t surpass the novel, some of the characters are lacking and it really does rely on prior knowledge of the story, , but there are numerous scenes in which the film is its equal, and the translation of the imagery is remarkable. They’ve also removed the one element of the book which I never liked so I’m chuffed with that. Jackie earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are rightly getting much praise, both excellent. I also liked Billy Crudup and Patrick Wilson, though Malin Ackerman was poor. I can only imagine what any future versions will be like with the Black Freighter incorporated. A film of such length hasn’t blown by so quickly since I first saw The Fellowship of the Ring. The best bit for me though, occurred within the first 10 minutes. The best credits scene I’ve seen in years! Re-reading the book at the moment, the little details, stuff that doesn’t amount to much in the bigger picture, are some of the most fascinating aspects, and this potted history over the credits was superb. And I don’t even like Bob Dylan! – 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Watchmenver9
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 am

Christmas Carol: The Movie (1st view) - lol! lol! lol! lol! . Just plain awful - 1/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Carolt

Nil By Mouth (1st view) - I can't deny that this isn't powerful stuff with some strong performances but, bloody hell, it's grim. Depressing isn't the world here, I felt like walking in front of a bus afterwards - 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 16 Nily

Fathom (1st view) - Spy spoof that see stars Raquel Welch as a skydiver who gets wrapped up in a plot to steal a priceless Chinese antique. Ffun but instantly forgettable - 2/5*

What I've just watched - Page 16 Fathom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I've just watched
Page 16 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next