HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rate the last film the above user watched.
Yesterday at 8:11 pm by Jinks

» This or That
Yesterday at 8:09 pm by Jinks

» Getting to know you
Yesterday at 8:09 pm by Jinks

» Rate the last TV programme the above user watched
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm by Gimli The Avenger

» Movie Association round 2
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm by Gimli The Avenger

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm by Gimli The Avenger

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 pm by Gimli The Avenger

» Post something about the person above you
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am by Jinks

» Favourite Film Of
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:48 am by Peregrin Took

Share | 

To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:02 am

Credit for this thread should go to Silver Very Happy

Surely everybody here loves Pixar? 9 films in 13 years that most people seem to think range from very good to modern masterpieces, that's no small accomplishment. Undoubtably one of the greatest animated studios the film world has seen (I'd even say they're one of the greatest studios, animated or otherwise)

Anyway, I had a Pixar marathon last wek, and here are a few thoughts! Very Happy

Toy Story (Canít recall how many times Iíve seen it, at least 30 I think) Ė I havenít seen this in about 5 years and it was an absolute joy to watch it again. As fresh and as funny as it ever. Jam-packed with visual gags and wonderful one-liners, a whole host of adorable characters and animation that still stuns, this a true masterpiece. The only Pixar film I havenít seen on the big screen, a huge regret of mine Ė 5/5

A Bugís Life (8th view) Ė Iíve always loved this despite not finding it as compulsively rewatchable as Toy Story. Again, a film I havenít seen in a few years, and it benefited. It seems to be the forgotten Pixar film, which is a huge shame as there is a great deal to enjoy and the gag count is almost as high as Toy Story. The circus bugs are particularly likeable, some of Pixarís best creations Ė 5/5

Toy Story 2 (6th view) First thingís first. This isnít as good as the original. Still very funny, but never quite so laugh out loud (the exception being pretty much any scene involving Rex, Hamm, Potato Head and Slinky, the true heroes of these films and itís great that they have a bigger role in this film). The new characters are nothing special, and the obvious reversal of the first film in story terms is sometimes rating, as are a few of the jokes (I am your father. Really?) Still, it does so much right, and most of the characters are so endearing, it gets top marks Ė 5/5

Monsters Inc (At least 30 views!) Ė Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again; this is as close to perfection as I think a film can get. That isnít to say that is has the best script, direction, score, etc etc, as it doesnít, but rather that there is not one single thing I could think of to change. Everything fits together wonderfully; I canít imagine anything ever being different. Mike Wazowski and Sulley are a comic paring made in heaven. Randy Newman rightfully won his first Oscar for his amazing work here, the animation is gorgeous, the script funny (visually, itís also Pixarís most humorous film) and the closing scene is, without a doubt, one of the most heart-warming and emotional moments in film. The finest animated film Iíve ever seen, and one of my top 10 films of all time Ė 5/5

Finding Nemo (11th view) Ė A slight comedown from Monsters, but still excellent. The animation is sublime here, and Thomas Newman excels musically (One minor gripe, all to often the sight and sounds combined do have the look of BBC documentary. Itís almost Pixar saying, ďlook what we can doĒ, forgetting that they have a story to tell. As ever, the two leads are well-cast and loveable character, Dory and Marlin work well together. Itís just a shame that so many of the best characters Ė Nigel, Jacques, the sharks, - get short changed for screen time, and one incident near the end of the film takes things bit to far. It also has a lower gag rate than others (though Dory speaking whale is one of the funniest things Iíve ever seen) Ė 5/5

The Incredibles (4th view) Ė A change of pace here, and Pixar newcomer Brad Bird taking on writing and directing duties. Itís certainly a fresh angle for Pixar and indeed a nice take on the superhero genre, quite easily surpassing most live action superhero films (batman Begins, Superman and perhaps X-men only beat it). Itís the weakest Pixar film so far, short on subtle gags, but still a winner Ė 5/5

Cars (3rd view) - Ok, so I love this film. Iím one of the few I know, but Iíve had a really good time on all viewings. I love the folk of Radiator Springs, and thereís some great verbal and visual humour. The fact that it looks great goes without saying, and I think there is a genuine heart here, a lack of which is often criticised. It might not be the best film, but itís hugely enjoyable Ė 5/5

Ratatouille (2nd view) Opinion seemed divided when this came out last year. I though it was 2007ís best film. A second viewing reaffirms that belief. Remy is a great creation, expressing the widest range of emotions without, half the time, speaking, Peter OíToole gives one of the finest vocal performances ever as Anton Ego, and Skinner (Ian Holm) is perfect. Michael Giacchinoís score was robbed of an Oscar this year. Rarely has a film, animated or otherwise, ever looked so beautiful (Remyís first view of Paris is the kind of shot cinema was invented for) and, one of itís greatest triumphs Ė it almost made me interesting in cooking, one of the mind numbingly dreary tasks in existence Ė 5/5

Wall-E (1st view) Ė This was easily my most anticipated film of the year. More than batman, Indy, There Will Be Blood, anything. I doubt Iíve anticipated a film so much since Return Of The King. Thankfully, it didnít disappoint, as itís pure joy in every single aspect. Wall-E himself is a spectacular creation. Impossible not to love and with more vibrancy and heart to him than most real-life characters. The opening scenes, just him and the cockroach, are both beautiful and strangely depressing. And the magnificent desolation on show betters anything similar I've seen in live action films. The introduction of EVE is well handled, and their blossoming romance is lovely. For two near silent characters who express pretty much with their eyes only, it's amazing and I honestly do think that this couple makes for one of the most charming and lovely romances I've ever seen. Once the story changes tack, it never lets up, and the ending actually had me on the edge of my seat, the noise and bustle of the cinema blacked out completely. Beautiful, charming, funny, thoughtful, exciting, inspiring. The kind of film that makes me happy to be alive. Just brilliant Ė 5/5

I realise this all might seem a tad gushy but I canít help it. Do all of these films actually deserve full marks when viewed from a critical, checklist-ticking standpoint? Well, probably not, but I do genuinely love each and every one of them, and as such, regarding their enjoyability, entertainment value, endearingness and the way the engross from start to finish, they deserve nothing less top marks. I love Pixar!

And lastly, in order Iíd place them :

Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Cars, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles.

And top of all this, let's not forget the wonderful short cartoons they've made. The early films such as Tin Toy and Knick Knack look dated now, but they are still incredbly imaginative and full of charm. Geri's Game, Boundin' and One Man Band aren't my favourites, but they are certainly not without merit. The DVD specials - Mike's New Car, Jack Jack Attack, Mater and The Ghostlight and Your Friend The Rat are all wonderful companion pieces to the recent Pixar features.

Lifted and Presto are both sublime, managing to better in 4 short minutes what most animated films struggle to achieve in 20 times the length. Still, the jewel in the Pixar short crown for me is For The Birds, a masterpiece.

And what about the future? 2009 sees the release of Up, directed by Monsters, Inc helmer Pete Docter and with the vocal talents of Ed Asner and Christopher Plummer. It's about an old man and a young boy who team up on an adventure in the jungle. Then we have a third Toy Story, a second Carsn and Pixar's first fairytale film, The Bear and The Bow. Even if they all fall into the lower end of Pixar's ranks, we should still have some great CGI treats for the next few years.

Behold! We are the Nine,
The Lords of Unending Life.

Frakkin toasters!

So, what, the murder weapon was a top sirloin?

He's a klutz, Mrs. Landingham. Your president's a geek!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:18 pm

Cool thread! Wink

I know I did a list on POP2 but I can't remember the order I put them in, as of now it'd be something like

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Cars
Wall-E
A Bugs Life
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
Ratatouille

There's so little to choose between them it's very hard to order them.

I watched Cars for the second time recently and thought it was wonderful. Looks fantastic and I think the characters are funny and likeable so don't see why it doesn't get the praise that some of the others do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am

That picture made me laugh! Very Happy

I'd agree that there is little between them. All excellent, and I also agree about Cars. Unfairly criticised.

I wrote this in the mini-reviews thread over on Empire recently after a rewatch of Toy Story.

Positves

Itís rare that a genuinely groundbreaking film comes along and, come the mid-nineties, it had been a while since a true ďfirstĒ had been seen. Here though, was a first, something unique. A fully realised 3D animated feature film. And even after 13 years, with the technology progressing in leaps and bounds, its looks remarkable. Sure, the humans and the environments arenít so impressive nowadays, but the main focus, the toys, are still excellent. Maybe itís the plasticy nature of such things that makes the easier to render, but the likes of Buzz Lightyear and, in particular, Rex, still stand out as being amongst the most realistic of beings in Pixarís canon. Back on the big screen in 1995, I can only imagine what it must have been like to witness this.

However, itís not just the visuals that impress. As so many similar films have shown since, great graphics count for nought without a great script and, Iím going out on a limb here, Toy Story has what is possibly the finest script in moviedom. Not as meaningful, deep or thought provoking as others, but within the confines of the film and what the film intends to achieve, itís nigh on perfect. It crackles with a wonderful energy, nary a singling line going awry. Its flawless and, just as importantly, terrifically funny, with each character beautifully crafted. Woody, the self appointed leader, Buzz, absolute delusion which gives way to poignant awareness, Sarge, the epitome of military precision, the cynical and sardonic Potato Head, the wisecracking Hamm, Slinky Dog, ever so slightly bit of a suck up, the brainwashed aliens, and my favourite, rex, the wonderfully insecure Tyrannosaur. The one-liners come thick and fast, the heartfelt speeches never veer towards cheesy sentiment, and it rattles along at a fantastic pace. It was nominated for an Oscar but was beaten by The Usual Suspects. A fine film and a fine script, but lacking the charm, wit and inventiveness on dipslay here. Itís also the funniest film to come along in close almost 50 years.

The vocal casting is perfect. It seems almost impossible to imagine that neither Tim Allen nor Tom Hanks were the first choices for the roles. Iíd rather not imagine what it would have been like had Bill Murray or Jim Carrey been included. Beyond the two stars though, a whole host a talent helps bring to life the supporting characters and itís here where the casting truly excels. Wallace Shawn, Jim Varney, Don Rickles, John Ratzenburger, R. Lee Ermy. All spot on.

Combine, the looks, vocals and script and you have a film which delights on multiple levels for every single seconds of itís run time. Itís never dull to watch as, even outside the overall look of the film, itís peppered with wonderful sight gags, some of which Iím still discovering after countless viewings (Iím particularly fond of the toy snake that coils itself around Woody when the toys think heís deliberately thrown Buzz out of the window). Line after line after line produce a smile, a chuckle, a guffaw, even a tear, especially when coupled with the wonderful delivery. ďTo infinity and beyondĒ has rightly become a pop culture staple (not in the AFIs top 100 quotes though. Inconceivable!!) Itís the sly asides and throwaway lines that win the most ďLaser envyĒ is a particular favourite, I love Rex ďIím from MattelĒ speech and Iíve lost count of the number of times my sister and I have, complete with hushed voices of awe, performed ďThe claw is our master, he chooses who will go and who will stayĒ and ďI have been chosen. Farewell my friends, I go on to a better placeĒ (Why, I have no idea, sometimes it just seems appropriate to do so!!)

What else. Ah, the music! Good olí Randy Newman. He gives us a really fantastic score, completely suiting the mood of the film. Suitably dark at times, notably brash and heroic at others, all the while in tune with the film. Rightfully Oscar-nominated, wrongly disregarded. His best work in the film though is with his songs. ďStrange ThingsĒ, ďI Will Go Sailing No MoreĒ and ďYouíve Got A Friend In MeĒ. Oscar glory came close for the latter song, but to no avail, though I reckon ďI Will Go Sailing No MoreĒ is probably the best of the three. It also comes at an emotional highlight of the film. Maybe itís just my post-LOTR days that make it so, but I came close to shedding a tear when Buss realises he canít fly. Itís a terrifically beautiful and sad sequence.

Which brings me to the themes of the film. Many 3D Ďtoons which have followed have been happy to deliver one-liners, gaudy visuals and colourful characters; they have little heart or soul. Toy Story is packed with heart, and while character revelations and arcs may never be on a similar scale of, say, The Godfather, they are there. Loyalty, friendship and self-awareness and present and correct, never hammered home, never mawkish, but enough to make the film a little bit more meaningful.

Negatives

None whatsoever. I could find some if I really wanted to, but it would just be nitpicking, and why spoil the fun?

Overall

In my life there are just two films that I dearly wish I had managed to see on the big screen. One is Jurassic Park. The second is Toy Story. Itís the only Pixar film that I first saw out of the cinema. But still, when I saw it I fell in love with it. I was 15 at the time, this was not the kind of film I was meant to be love. (Indeed, I was amazed then and I am now at people who just donít like this film) Nevertheless, love I did, and I still do today. In fact, I watched it for the first time in about 5 years just last night, and I swear Iíve never loved it quite so much. I smiled and I laughed and I cried though every single second, my face was aching at the end. And itís a testament to the creative geniuses behind the film, that 13 years and 8 films later, they are still producing some of the best-animated films ever seen, leaving all copycats and imitators foundering in their wake. Whatís more, Toy Story isnít even Pixarís best, film theyíve managed to better it at least twice, as well as produce a sequel that is almost as impressive. But Toy Story was were it all begin, and itís genuine bona fide masterpiece. Itís that rare beast, a family film for all the family. Iíve even heard it said that itís ďtoo good for kidsĒ and thereís truth in that, the phrase could have been coined for this film. Itís pure perfection, and that happens all too rarely. A film to be treasured Ė 100/100

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:26 am

And here's a teaser for the new film, Up

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:40 pm

I like it already! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:55 am

This will be the film of 2010!!!! steve steve steve

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 pm

Excellent stuff. Rex in christmas lights! Very Happy

Looking forward to the seeing the first two in the cinema when they get released again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:14 am

The original Toy Story in 3D this Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crazydancer crazydancer steve crazydancer steve steve

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Sunday for me hopefully Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Did you enjoy it?

I had a great time, can't wait for Up next week. Also watched Cars again last night, so underrated!

Weird question for those of you who've now seen a few 3D films, what are you doing with the glasses? Taking your own pair to the cinema now? Getting a new pair each time? Throwing them away after? Or have a collection building at home? I'm going with the latter at the moment! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:27 am

I didn't get to see it, it'll be sometime this week now. Can't wait!

I love Cars. It ha a bad reputation. There are few things I've laughed at as much in the cinema as when Mater goes "Doc did what in his cup?" Very Happy

As for glasses, for me there's a bin outside the cinema screen that you're meant to put them in after the film. I missed it the first few times though so have ended up with two pairs at home, and I just take one of those with me now.

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD
Massive Supreme Being!
Massive Supreme Being!

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm

I've got a few pairs, and forgot to take mine on Saturday... must remember for Up Cool

Yeah, it's awesome.... like I say when anyone asks me though, it's always been awesome... just nice and shiny now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:10 am

Saw it last night. I was just happy to be able to finally see it on the big screen. Some great 3D moments though that really stood out, but the film still works wonder without it.

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Anyone see the South Bank Show documentary about Pixar on ITV last night? I really enjoyed seeing the various Pixar directors talking about the films, especially John Lasseter who always seems like such a nice bloke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:19 am

Taped it, not seen it yet.

I'm hoping to get The Art of Up sometime later this year. The Pixar art of books all look excellent, but the only one I;ve actually got is Wall-E. They become expensive very fast. Last time I looked for the Monsters one it was over £100!

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 am

What are peoples favourites of the Pixar shorts?

I got the DVD for xmas and having watched it the other night it's a great way to spend an hour! I hadn't seen many if them before but Knick Knick, about a snowman, was my favourites. Mike's New Car also very very funny Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 am

The Pixar shorts are little works of genius!

I'd place them in this order, The top 6 are just amazing but For The Birds has been my favourite ever since I first saw it. The Adventures of Andrť and Wally B.** and Red's Dream I can barely remember them. I think I might not have even seen the first one!

For The Birds
Partly Cloudy
Presto
Mike's New Car
BURN-E
Lifted
Your Friend The Rat
Geri's Game
Mater and the Ghostlight
Luxo Jr.
One Man Band
Knick Knack
Tin Toy
Jack Jack Attack
Boundin'

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Saw Toy Story 2 in 3D today, didn't think there was much in the way of 3d but nice to see it at the cinema. Love Rex in this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:49 am

"I don't wanna use my head!!!!" Very Happy Very Happy

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:06 am

A new trailer for Toy Story 3!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiuxAzM9xN8

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:27 am

Looks brilliant!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 am

"You would not believe what I've been through tonight"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 am

This is great!!! Very Happy

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/04/04/the-pixar-character-size-guide/

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 pm

I read on Ceefax this week that Monsters Inc is getting a sequel. Excited Gimli?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 am

Just a bit! stevestevestevestevesteve

Two and half years seems a long way away though. And I'm slightly apprehensive as the original ends absolutely perfectly, so any follow up story must also be just as perfect.

Behold! We are the Nine,

Frakkin toasters!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!   

Back to top Go down

To Infinity and Beyond! - The Pixar thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next