Pages Of Power 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Worst Film Of...
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm by Jinks

» Rate the last film the above user watched.
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 pm by Jinks

» Getting to know you
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm by Jinks

» This or That
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm by Jinks

» Favourite Song Of
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» The Pointless Movie Game
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» Four Letter Word Game
What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm by Donald McKinney

What I've just watched

Go down 
+5
Donald McKinney
Gimli The Avenger
chocaholicmags
Silver
Jinks
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
The Mad One
Massive Supreme Being!
Massive Supreme Being!
The Mad One

What I've just watched - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Gabriel arrived randomly from my rental list...I must have read about it somewhere to have added it, but it didn't ring any bells at all!

What I've just watched - Page 2 Gabrielmovieposter1kg1

The film is set in purgatory (!), where the sides of good (Arch angels) and bad (the Fallen angels) battle to rule the city, currently in the power of the Fallen. Gabriel, the last of the Arch angels, is sent as the last hope of restoring light.

Was very atmospheric (the director quite freely admitted to have copied the style of The Crow & Blade Runner), but not completely engaging. Perfectly watchable, but a tad slow in places, plus didn't leave much of an impression. Tasty looking unknown lead though Razz

3/5
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Dreamcatcher 3/5

The Mummy 2/5
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 am

Maddy, I came close to buying Gabriel today. Glad I didn't now!

Silver, which Mummy was that? Brendan Fraser, Christopher Lee or Boris Karloff?

Dr Pyckle and Mr Pride
(1st view) - A silent comedy starring Stan Laurel, made a few years before he teamed up with Oliver Hardy. As the title suggets, it's a take on Dr Jekyll and My Hyde, and Laurel gives good comic turn as both. It never comes close to the heights of his better work from later years, but's it's a fun 20 minutes.

What I've just watched - Page 2 Eab022a7e0a9a77bd84aa4a755d592af
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008), Guillermo Del Toro does a brilliantly superior sequel to the first Hellboy film of 4 years ago. This time, the titular, but good-hearted big, red demon (played by Ron Perlman), investigates into a society of elves, whose leader Prince Nuada (Luke Goss), is looking to wage war upon the human world, but he needs one piece of a missing crown to awaken The Golden Army, who will lay waste to the humans. Meanwhile, Hellboy is having relationship troubles with Liz Sherman (Selma Blair), who has a secret (or two). Hellboy II is a much more visually stunning, allowing Del Toro's imagination to go wild with weird creatures and brilliant sets. Perlman is a brilliant choice for Hellboy, and makes the role his. It's also got a good sense of humour as well, which suits the imagery and characterisations. Things can only get better in Del Toro's career, but in the meantime, another Hellboy movie please!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Hellboytwover6qq0
Back to top Go down
Jinks
Admin
Admin
Jinks

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - meh s'ok. 2.5/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Starship_Troopers_3

Better than Starship Troopers: Hero of the Federation, but not a patch on the excellent original.
Back to top Go down
https://pagesofpower4.forumotion.net
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 pm

Gimli The Dwarf wrote:

Silver, which Mummy was that? Brendan Fraser, Christopher Lee or Boris Karloff?

Brendan Fraser. Seen bits of it on tv before but never the whole thing and couldn't get into it at all.
Back to top Go down
The Mad One
Massive Supreme Being!
Massive Supreme Being!
The Mad One

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 pm

What I've just watched - Page 2 Moviexfilesiw2

Oh, I really really did want to as well. I am a HUGE X-files fan (as some of you will know Very Happy ), it's my 2nd favourite TV series of all time, and I know all the ins and outs of it thoroughly. But, I've just come back from seeing it, and I have to say, I thought it was....rubbish pale

I thought that the story line was extremely weak (c'mon guys, where was the unique X-files-yness in that?!), the dialogue very bland (no quick wit from Mulder, no lengthy scientific explanations from Scully) and it was just soooo drawn out. Plus, the unnecessary side storyline involving Scully had no purpose, other than an incredibly tenuous link to the main story which was discovered by chance. Nope, big thumbs down from an X-files devotee.

2/5....just.
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 9:51 pm

The Mad One wrote:

Oh, I really really did want to as well. I am a HUGE X-files fan (as some of you will know Very Happy ), it's my 2nd favourite TV series of all time

Waaaaay off topic of the thread, and you've probably said before at some time or other but whats your favourite tv seires of all time then?
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 6:12 am

Maybe the Mummy deserves a big screen watch. I loved it at the cinema and it's always good fun.

X-Files. Nooooooooooooo! I'm off to see this tomorrow and Maddy's review doesn't bode well Crying or Very sad

Did you get to see The Dark Knight, Maddy?
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 pm

It's two of Ridley Scott's recent ones for me... Wink

Matchstick Men (2003), Ridley Scott decided on a quick change of scene with this slick and stylish comedy-drama. It has Roy Waller (Nicolas Cage), an obsessive compulsive con-man, who works with his protege Frank (Sam Rockwell), in pulling off scams all over Los Angeles, some big and some small. However, they're on the verge of pulling off the biggest cons of their careers, when Roy's 14-year-old daughter Angela (Alison Lohman) turns up. Fearing she could be a hinderance to the whole con, Roy decides she can be of use after all. But nothing is what it seems. Wink It's a very offbeat, if quite uneven caper film, but it does have it's moments. Especially when one BIG revelation is revealed, and it rivals the big twists of all other con films!! But, Scott has fun with this film, and gets the best out of his actors, and has fun with the visuals... 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 405px-Matchstick_Men

A Good Year (2006), after Gladiator, Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott teamed up again for this gentle comedy-drama, based upon Peter Mayle's 2004 novel. It has London Investment Banker Max Skinner (Crowe, playing another Max Wink), who is told of the death of his beloved Uncle Henry (Albert Finney), Max is also told that he has been left his uncle's big estate including his big vineyard. Max is at first, not interested in it, but upon visiting their, he remembers the childhood he used to spend there with his uncle, and he begins to have second thoughts about selling the place. There's an overall sense of smugness about this whole film, and while it does look good visually, you can't help but feel that Crowe and Scott set out to make this for themselves, alot of the comedy seems forced, and it would have suited a Sunday teatime TV slot rather than the big screen, though it does have it's moments, but they're few and far between. Neutral 2/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Goodyearpo3
Back to top Go down
The Mad One
Massive Supreme Being!
Massive Supreme Being!
The Mad One

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Oh yep, I forgot to comment on it!!

What I've just watched - Page 2 Heathledgerclap460oo6

The Dark Knight....outstanding. That is all. Am off to see it again on Monday!! bounce 5/5!!!

& Silver, the answer you seek is The Sopranos! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Ah yes, thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 pm

A History Of Violence 5/5

My 3rd or 5th view maybe and I like it more and more exh time I see it. Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello are a terrific leading couple and Ed Harris has a creepy menace about him. Also a very good score from Howard Shore that in places at least bares a resemblance to some of his LOTR work in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 am

Silver wrote:
A History Of Violence 5/5

My 3rd or 5th view maybe and I like it more and more exh time I see it. Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello are a terrific leading couple and Ed Harris has a creepy menace about him. Also a very good score from Howard Shore that in places at least bares a resemblance to some of his LOTR work in my opinion.

Very good choice!

Regarding the score, it is superb. There is one bit that stands out for me as LOTR-ish. When you see Ed Harris's car getting pulled over by the cop, the music when he travelling down the road sounds like's it's just come directly from Amon Hen. Not that I'm complaining, as I love the music!

The Arsenal Stadium Mystery (1st view) – An enjoyable piece of murder mystery fluff from 1940. When a player drops dead on the field it isn’t long before before a murder investigation is on the way, Leslie Banks is the determined detective on the case, and he’s the main reason to watch it. Full of dodgy lines and suspect acting, it would be written off in seconds if it were made today, but it’s not without its charm. - 3/5

The X-Files: I Want To Believe (1st view) – Like Maddy, I’m a huge X-Phile and I must agree that this falls short of even an average episode. There simply wasn’t enough of the stuff that made the show great – witty banter between the leads, a genuinely interesting and scary plot (I get the feeling they wanted some kind of Saw/Hostel sense of macabre).

Yet there were a few moments that did make me very happy. I liked the sense of history between the two since the show ended, and the first scenes of Mulder and Scully together reminded me a lot of their very first time together on the show. A late appearance by a favourite character of mine also pleased me no end.

It’s just a great shame that they didn’t focus on a more supernatural story and give more screen time to both Mulder and Scully together. They seemed to spend half of it apart.

I’ll give it 3/5 I think.

By the way, Maddy, did you see the scene mid-credits? What on Earth was that about?!

What I've just watched - Page 2 Xfiles2kt2

Re-Animator (2nd view) – Jeffery Combs stars as Herbert West, a medical student who has discovered a way to bring the dead back to life, but disasterous consequences ensue. Exceptionally gory with a whole host of make-up effects (some look superb, others laughable, but they all suit the film) this is a great, and often very funny, horror film.

What I've just watched - Page 2 200px-Reanimator_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

The Love Guru (2008), Mike Myers rides again, with this lacklustre comedy which does have it's odd moments. Myers plays Guru Pitka who runs a self-help business in Los Angeles, but he is asked to come and help Toronto hockey player Darren Roanoke (Romany Malco), get back together with his win back his wife Prudence (Meagan Good), who is seeing French-Canadian hockey rival Jacques Grande (Justin Timberlake, surprisingly funny), whilst Pitka finds himself falling for the hockey team's owner Jane Bullard (Jessica Alba). Guru Pitka actually was an abandoned character from the first Austin Powers film, and maybe he should have stayed that way, Myers really needs to have a rethink before bringing another of his comedy creations to the big screen, as this has too many hang-overs of Austin Powers to it, good idea, shameful result, but it does have it's funny moments. Like Verne 'Mini-Me' Troyer as hockey coach Punch Cherkov, and Timberlake, who actually can act... Wink 2/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Loveguruver2dg5
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 am

Smokin’ Aces (1st view) – After the excellent Narc, Joe Carnahan’s third feature is a whirligig of gunplay, violence and frenzied camerawork. It reminded me in many ways of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels but not near as much fun, and with a story that seems to be deliberately overcomplicated, plenty of style but little substance. Still, go along for the ride and don’t expect miracles, there’s quite a bit to enjoy here with some decent trust from the reliable Andy Garcia, Jeremy Piven and Ray Liotta – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Smokinoc0

Ride Lonesome (1st view) – 1959 western that sees lawman Randolph Scott transporting a murderer to the town of Santa Cruz, all the while followed by the killer’s brother, Lee Van Cleef. Cleef is by far the best actor on show here, yet he appears for just a few minutes near the film’s end, it’s shame as the film could have benefited from him being used more. James Coburn also makes an impression in his first film role. Enjoyable enough though, and at just under 90 minutes it never bores – 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 200px-Ridelonesomepost3jv
Back to top Go down
The Mad One
Massive Supreme Being!
Massive Supreme Being!
The Mad One

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Re. The X-Files....nope, I didn't see that scene...what happened?! PM me!! Very Happy I'm afraid that my friend who accompanied me couldn't wait to leave after it so I didn't stay for the credits!

The Bourne Ultimatum - Very exciting, highly detailed plot, great action sequences (Matt Damon is a fantastic stunt driver!! Shocked )...thoroughly enjoyable Very Happy 5/5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Saturday

What I've just watched - Page 2 227362

Sunday

What I've just watched - Page 2 Prestige-dvd
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 am

Fantastic choices there Maddy and Nic. I love all of 'em!

Hairspray (2nd view) - My first vewing since the cinema and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Really, there are few films that are so wonderfully upbeat, upifting and feelgood. One of those that puts a big grin an your face that stays there for hours afterwards.

A great cast (I love John Travolta's turn as Edna) and some superb catchy tunes makes this hugely worthwhile. You can't stop the beat indeed! - 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 User3203_1176927901a
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:14 am

You've Got Mail 2/5
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Blade 3/5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 pm

What I've just watched - Page 2 E5_8 7/10
Back to top Go down
Silver
Warlord Of Hobbiton
Silver

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 8:09 pm

The Bourne Identity 5/5

I love this! Matt Damon is perfect as Bourne and is well supported by the rest of the cast. Great action and great music, if LOTR counts as one this would be my third favourite film of the decade so far.
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 5:45 am

Silver wrote:
The Bourne Identity 5/5

I love this! Matt Damon is perfect as Bourne and is well supported by the rest of the cast. Great action and great music, if LOTR counts as one this would be my third favourite film of the decade so far.

What's your second favourite?
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Xanadu (1980), a big musical flop which spawned a hugely successful soundtrack album!! This strange musical fantasy has the Greek muse Terpsichore incarnated on Earth as Kira (Olivia Newton-John), who brings inspiration to struggling artist Sonny (Michael Beck), who runs into ex-band leader Danny Maguire (Gene Kelly) and the two of them set out to form a club called Xanadu. It's got a paper-thin plot, and it doesn't really go anywhere, but it does have it's moments. It looks good visually, the songs by Electric Light Orchestra are enjoyable. But, the less said about Gene Kelly rollerskating, the better!! Razz 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Xanaduhj7

Zachariah (1971), the only film of it's kind, an Electric Western, made on the tail end of the psychedelic era. It has wannabe gunfighter Zachariah (John Rubinstein) teaming up with his blacksmith friend Matthew (Don Johnson), to join up with the Crackers, (played by Country Joe and the Fish), a band of robbers, (quite literally a band!!) Soon after though, they drift apart, which leads to rivalry. It's easy to see why this is the only film of it's kind, but it was a good idea, at the time!! But, it does feature good music from Country Joe and the Fish, The James Gang, White Lightnin' and New York Rock Ensemble. More of an extended rock video than a proper film, could have been better. Razz 3/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Zachariahws4

Across 110th Street (1972), one of the most powerful and famous Blaxploitation films of the 1970's, best known for it's theme song by Bobby Womack. This has two New York cops, the biggoted Mattelli (Anthony Quinn), and black Lt. Pope (Yaphet Kotto) teaming up to stop an all out war breaking out in Harlem between the Mafia, led by Nicky D'Salvio (Anthony Franciosa) and the black gang who stole $300,000 from them, it comes down to 3 crooks who conducted the theft. Across 110th Street is a very gritty film, and it doesn't fall into the cliches that alot of blaxploitation films of the time did. It's very violent, and there is alot of racial tension on display, which adds to it's tense mood. Oh, and look out for Huggy Bear in the film!! Wink 4/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 Across_110th_Street

The Jungle Book (1967), an extremely strong contender for Walt Disney's best film, (it was also the last film he oversaw before his death.) Loosely based on Rudyard Kipling's books, it had man-cub Mowgli, brought up since he was a baby by wolves, who is to be sent back to the man village by panther Bagheera to escape certain death from tiger Shere Khan. But, Mowgli doesn't want to go to the man village, especially when he meets care-free bear Baloo. Razz The Jungle Book is an upbeat and extremely enjoyable film, with some of the best animation Disney had very done. It brought the old fashioned Disney format finally kicking and screaming into the 1960's, helped by superb songs like The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You. Disney has never been this good since then. 5/5

What I've just watched - Page 2 15631967ellibrodelaselvzm2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've just watched   What I've just watched - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I've just watched
Page 2 of 30Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next