Pages Of Power 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Worst Film Of...
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm by Jinks

» Rate the last film the above user watched.
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 pm by Jinks

» Getting to know you
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm by Jinks

» This or That
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm by Jinks

» Favourite Song Of
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» The Pointless Movie Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» Four Letter Word Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm by Donald McKinney

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Impact (1st view) - Last year I had the pleasure, nay, the privilege to watch Earthstorm, a gloriously magnificent slice of slice that sees Adam Baldwin stick stick the moon back together after it's smacked by an asteroid. Impact, a TV movie that also sees the moon turn villainous after it's hit by an asteroid, can't quite live up to Earthstorm's brilliance (but let's face it, few things can) but it does deliver on many fronts. It's has Farmer Hogget, always a good sign, attempting to outrun (or drive in this case) gravity. Yep, that's right. You know that scene in The Happening when they try to outrun the wind? That's got nothing on this. Apparently, the moon entering into an elliptical orbit will cause electromagnetic surges that cause things to levitate. Trains, container ships, you name it. "How can you hide from gravity?" asks one character in the show. Turns out you can't! But that's tiny problem when faced with the fact that the MOON IS GOING TO CRASH INTO EARTH!!!!!! It's been 15 years since Deep Impact and Armageddon and Tv movies are doing quite well with the asteroids endanger Earth sub-genre but Hollywood really needs to get back into this game - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Impact

Blackthorn (1st view) - One of the good things about there being so few westerns these days it that they all tend to stand out from one another. They almost all tend tlo be good too, such as this one, whih sees Sam Shepard play an ageing Butch Cassidy, some 20 years after he was supposedly gunned down. He's great in the role and the film looks gorgeous too. One scene in particular, taking place oin the Uyuni salt flats, is just gorgeous - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-Blackthorn_%28film%29
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 am

Van Diemen's Land (1st view) - SPOILERS - Drama based on the true story of eight convicts who escape from a Tasmanian penal colony in 1822. Lost in the wilderness, it's not long before they start to murder and eat one another. Om nom nom nom. Without a doubt, one of the most bleak and miserable film I've seen - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-Van-diemen-s-land-poster-0
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

The Fighter (2nd view) - Bale and Leo won the awards but it's Wahlberg who's best in this. As predictable as most films of this type but no less enjoyable - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-The_Fighter_Poster
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Siege Of The Dead (1st view) - Inventive European zombie film. Only 59 minutes long and short on scare and gores but still effective - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 16255708_180x180_1

Cyrus (1st view) - John C. Reilly is one of my favourite actors but a lot of the last decade he's spent in really naff comedies. This is a step in the right direction - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-Cyrus_poster

Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Quatermass and the Pit (1967), from Hammer, and after making The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) and Quatermass 2 (1957), this was an attempt to revive the franchise for the 1960's, adapting the serial of the same name that was broadcast in 1958 and doing it in colour, this time under the direction of Roy Ward Baker (The Vampire Lovers (1970), Scars of Dracula (1970) and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971), this is a dark and effective sci-fi horror. While working on an extension of the London Underground at Hobbs End station, workers dig up skeletal fossils, Palaeontologist Dr Matthew Roney (James Donald) deducts that they're that of an apeman 5 million years ago. But, they find a metal shaft, which they believe to be an unexploded bomb, but when the military are called in, led by Colonel Breen (Julian Glover) to investigate, they find it's a spacecraft. Professor Bernard Quatermass (Andrew Keir) is called to investigate, and discovers that's it's an alien craft, but it gives off a telekinetic force to anyone who disrupts it, which leads to devastating results in the local area. It's a very good film, with some good imagination with it's sci-fi, and some good scares along the way. The effects are a bit laughable, but that's what you would expect from a Hammer film, they add a likeable charm to the film, and this was made when Hammer were at the top of their powers. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Quater__1129302928_0025-2

The Witches (1966), Hammer rides again, this time with this adaption of the novel The Devil's Own by Norah Lofts, with the screenplay by Nigel Kneale (Quatermass and the Pit (1967)) and directed by Cyril Frankel (Never Take Sweets from a Stranger (1960)), this is a very effective shocker which manages to be engrossing and unsettling, the only major niggle is that it's played ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT, when it should have had fun with it's subject. Schoolteacher Gwen Mayfield (Joan Fontaine) has returned to England, after suffering a nervous breakdown out in Africa, which working as a teacher for a missionary. She'd been exposed to witchcraft and voodoo out there, but back in England, she's offered by Alan Bax (Alec McCowen) and his sister Stephanie (Kay Walsh) to become the headteacher of a small private school they own in the English countryside. But no soon than Gwen has become headmistress, than strange things start happening, and she discovers darkness and corruption occuring in the life of this sleepy village, and the trauma of her events in Africa come back to haunt her. It's a good shocker, but it's too serious, and it nearly slips into dullness, but there's a scare or two which lifts it from it's dour mood. But, Fontaine is very good as the troubled teacher, who just wants a new start, and it does have a good cast. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Witches
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Lincoln (2012), Steven Spielberg's pet project for well over a decade, based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, and Spielberg wasn't going to let this one go. But trying to get the script right took ages, but he and screenwriter Tony Kushner narrowed it down and focused on the most important decision of Lincoln's career. It's a powerful yet talky biopic, but it has some brilliant performances in it. In January 1865, President Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis) is determined to get the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed in the United States House of Representatives, the Amendment would see the abolition of slavery in the United States, and Lincoln feels that it's passage will help end the Civil War, Lincoln asks Secretary of State William Seward (David Strathairn) to help secure the votes to get the Amendment passed, by any means necessary, but Lincoln has the support of Republican Party founder Francis Preston Blair (Hal Holbrook), Republican Congressional leader Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln (Sally Field). It's beautifully made, and it shows Lincoln as a leader, but also a human being. While there are a lot of length scenes in darkened rooms negotiating the Amendment, it's still compelling, with brilliant dialogue and brilliant performances throughout. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Lincoln

Taste of Fear (1961), from Hammer, this is something of a departure for the horror studio, a psychological thriller, a think piece, directed by Seth Holt (The Nanny (1965) and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)) and written and produced by Hammer veteran Jimmy Sangster. This is a taut thriller which dives into madness in an exotic location, but then it has a brilliant twist at the end which Tales of the Unexpected would have killed for. In the south of France, Paralysed Penny Appleby (Susan Strasberg) has arrived home after she hears of her father's disappearance, she meets chauffeur Bob (Ronald Lewis), who tells her how it happened, and her stepmother Jane (Ann Todd), who has a cold relationship with Penny. Back at the family house near Nice, Penny is haunted by the appearance of her father's corpse in various locations around the family home, but it always seems to vanish whenever anyone else comes. The family's doctor Pierre Gerrard (Christopher Lee), believes it's stress causing the visions, but Penny is determined to show it's true, and she is seeing her father's body. It's a good thriller, shot in a stark black and white by the great Douglas Slocombe. But it benefits from a good script by Sangster, who would revisit similar themes when he directed Fear in the Night (1972), but this showed a different direction for Hammer. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Taste_of_Fear
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Vampire Circus (1972), directed by Robert Young, (Splitting Heirs (1993) and Fierce Creatures (1997)) and written by Wilbur Stark (The Stud (1974) and The Thing (1982)), this was one of Hammer's better films, and it came during their later years, when the company was slipping into a sad decline, and it's one of their more surreal offerings. But, it's so atmospheric with some simple trickery which managers to be really effective. 15 years after ridding their village of the curse of Count Mitterhaus (Robert Tayman), his evil is revived when a travelling circus, led by a Gypsy Woman (Adrienne Corri), whose cousin was Mitterhaus, rolls into the village, and this is one circus which offers some quite weird and exotic forms of entertainment, but they seem to keep the villagers happy. But, the older members of the village become suspicious, especially when the body count starts to rise, beginning with the town's Burgermeister (Thorley Walters), who saw something grisly in a hall of mirrors, and then Dora Mueller (Lynne Frederick), daughter of Professor Mueller (Laurence Payne) is kidnapped in a ploy to revive Count Mitterhaus. It's a very creepy film, but it has the usual Hammer touches, (nudity, fog, dodgy overacting but good sets), but it is well shot, and it is one of the better looking Hammer films in visual terms, oh, and a young David Prowse appears as the circus strongman... Razz 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Vampirecircusxlgyu5

Pork Chop Hill (1959), directed by Lewis Milestone, (All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), Ocean's Eleven (1960) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)), this is a powerful and atmospheric war film with a good cast. It focuses on a war that's seldom been seen in film or on screen, (Apart from MASH), but this is a powerful film done with dark cinematography which focuses on one of the bloodiest battles of the Korean War, and it makes a for a good story on film. It begins in April 1953, during the Korean War, a company of American soldiers, led by Lieutenant Joe Clemons (Gregory Peck) are ordered to capture Pork Chop Hill from an platoon of the Communist Chinese army. The American's lead a bloody assault, and out of 135 troops, only 25 survive, and there's another wave of the Chinese army ready to attack. The higher command are unwilling to deploy more troops to defend the hill, so it's up to Clemons and Lieutenant Walter Russell (Rip Torn) to keep on top of the troops, and hold the hill, in the hope that the Panmunjeom cease-fire negotiations succeed. It's a dark and powerful war film, it's a character piece at heart, with Peck turning in another great performance, it's battle sequences are well done, and the whole battle has a touch of what was to come in Zulu (1964), it's a pity there haven't been more Korean war films. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Pork_chop_hill_-_1959_-_poster1
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Faster (1st view) - Not one of Dwayne Johnson's best efforts but reasonable entertainment. A bit skimpy on the action front - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-Faster2010Poster

Red Tails (1st view) - Some thrillng aerial scenes stuck in the middle of cliche and sentiment - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 215px-Red_Tails_Poster
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Les Miserables (1st view) - It's far from perfect but I loved this. From the epic opening shot to the rousing finale, greatness, even the bits I didn't like all that much didn't bother (and such sequences mainly invilved the three younger leads). Jackman and Hathaway were ace, and once I got used to his voice, Crowe was perfect in the role. Since seeing the film I've been listeing to the original stage version and some of the renditions are very inferior in the film, especially Master Of The House, but they still work. Flawed but brilliant - 5/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 215px-Les-miserables-movie-poster1
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 am

The Beaver (1st view) - Not sure of it wants to be a puppet comedy or depression drama. The romance between Jennifer Lawrence and Anton Yelchin felt like an afterthought. Gibson was probably the best he's been in decades - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-The_Beaver_Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Carve Her Name With Pride (1958), directed by Lewis Gilbert (Alfie (1966), You Only Live Twice (1967) and Educating Rita (1983)), this is a tragic war film based on the true life book of the same name by R.J. Minney. It's a very powerful film with some good performances, but it does shy away from the true horrors of what really happened during World War II, and it does focus on a little seen side of the war seldom seen on film. It begins in 1940, when Violette Bushell (Virginia McKenna) gets married to French Army Officer Etienne Szabo (Alain Saury), they marry and have a daughter, but Etienne is killed in action in North Africa. However, because Violette is bilingual, she is recruited by the British government, to work as a spy helping the French Resistance. Violette is working for Captain Tony Fraser (Paul Scofield), who knew Etienne, and wants to ensure the same fate doesn't befall Violette, she's very good at her job, and is able to help the resistance, and stay one step ahead of the Gestapo, the first mission there is a success in helping the Resistance, but then Violette is asked to do a more dangerous mission. It's a very emotionally charged war film, and it manages to be gripping and moving, McKenna manages to be a likable presence, and she does good with the physical action the film has to offer as well. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 6982167319_49ff72948b_z

300 (2007) the old sword & sandals epic gets one hell of a shot in the arm courtesy of director Zack Snyder, this was based on Frank Miller's 2005 comic book, and was done using the same hyper-real style, which had been done on another Miller adaptation, Sin City (2005). It's an interpretation of a legendary piece of Greek history, albeit reimagined and very faithful to the comic book, but it's a great piece of entertainment and very exciting. In 480 BC, Spartan King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) hears the news that an insurge of Persians are heading into Sparta, unable to get the support of the council, Leonidas heads out to Thermopylae with only 300 Spartans, to hold back the might of the vast impending army of Persian King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), the Spartans are well and truly outnumbered, but they're tough and strong, and are crafty with their attacks. Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) back in Sparta trying to rally up support to fight against the Persian army, but she has her own battle of wills with the scheming Theron (Dominic West), who tries to blackmail Gorgo over a sexual encounter they'd had. It's a very different kind of historical epic, but it's visually stunning, and very faithful to the original comic book as well. It's as camp as hell, with all the big, hunky warriors on display, it's near homo-erotic, but the action scenes are visually stunning. Zack Snyder did wonders bringing it to life, and there was grander to come. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 16085cn8
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm

The Vikings (1958), directed by Richard Fleischer, (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), Fantastic Voyage (1966) and Soylent Green (1973)), this is a very epic and grand adventure film based on the novel The Viking by Edison Marshall, which in turn was based on the sagas and poems of Ragnar Lodbrok. It's the kind of old fashioned adventure that came from this era, and it has a grand and epic cast to it's name as well. After the King of Northumberland dies, the new heir to the throne is the kings cousin Aella (Frank Thring) is the new heir to the throne, but Viking King Ragnar (Ernest Borgnine) had it off with the late King's widow, when the child is born, Ragnar sends the infant boy to Italy. Years later, now a man, Erik (Tony Curtis) goes to Norway with nobleman Lord Egbert (James Donald), to help Erik in his claim to the throne, but Erik immediately incurs the wrath of his half-brother Einar (Kirk Douglas), Ragnar's legitimate son and heir. Then, matters are further complicated when both Erik and Einar fall for Princess Morgana (Janet Leigh), who is engaged to be married to King Aella. It's a big epic soap opera, but it is very entertaining, even though it's stars either keep their American accents or they don't, but it is a compelling and lavish adventure film, complimented with some brilliant cinematographer by Jack Cardiff and a heroic score by Mario Nascimbene. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Los_vikingos

The Last Stand (2013), the first American film directed by Kim Ji-woon (A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) and The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)), this is significant as it's Arnold Schwarzenegger's first starring role since Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)), and despite the financial mauling it's taken, it's quite an entertaining action film that harks back to violent action films of yesteryear, it's a by the numbers generic action film, and all the better for that. When notorious Mexican drug lord Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega) escapes from FBI custody in Las Vegas, escaping in a supercharged Chevrolet Corvette towards the Mexican border, Agent John Bannister (Forest Whitaker) tries to stop Cortez by any means possible. But in the small border town of Sommerton Junction, Arizona. Sheriff Ray Owens (Arnie) and his team discover weird goings on in the town, including the building of a temporary bridge, and the murder of elderly farmer Parsons (Harry Dean Stanton), he gets an idea of what's coming to town, but Owens is prepared to defend his town from Cortez, no matter what. It's a cheesy action film, even though it's derivate, it manages to be a fun experience, and it's good to see Arnie take centre stage again, it has some insane action sequence as well as some tough and rough moments, but it's stylishly made. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 00434
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Grand Theft Parsons (2003), directed by David Caffrey (Divorcing Jack (1998)), this is an unbelievable true story of what happened to musician Gram Parsons after he'd died. It's a story so unbelievable and shocking, you can't believe this really happened, but it did. It caused an outrage with the press and public at the time, but the fact the makers have turned into a black comedy may sound disrespectful, but the fact is this approach actually works. Gram Parsons (Gabriel Macht) dies in a motel room in Joshua Tree, California aged only 26 after overdosing on morphine and alcohol, his manager Phil Kaufman (Johnny Knoxville) is distraught, but Parsons' ex-girlfriend Barbara (Christina Applegate) reveals a paper that contained Parsons' wishes on how he would want to be cremated in the Joshua Tree National Park, the body is in Los Angeles, so Kaufman calls upon the help of hippy Larry Oster-burg (Michael Shannon), to go and steal the body, and take it to where Parsons wished to be cremated. Only thing is, Kaufman hasn't told Oster-burg what they're doing, and the seriousness of this. While some of this does seem a bit too contrived to be true, it's a very enjoyable film, and it turns into a bit of a buddy movie along the way, and the film shares DNA with what was to come in Taking Woodstock (2009), a bit of an underrated gem. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Grandtheftparsons

Anchors Aweigh (1945), directed by George Sidney (Annie Get Your Gun (1951), Scaramouche (1952) and Bye Bye Birdie (1963)), this is an entertaining and somewhat rather overlong musical, but it does have a few enjoyable moments. It shares DNA with what was to come in On The Town (1949), and it helped make Gene Kelly, then a dancer, bit player and choreographer for MGM, into a star and later director in his own right. US Navy sailors Joe Brady (Kelly) and Clarence Doolittle (Frank Sinatra) are granted 4 days of shore leave. They both have their hearts on seeing girls while on leave, however, they soon come across young boy Donald Martin (Dean Stockwell), who has run away from his aunt Susan (Kathryn Grayson) to go and join the navy. Joe and Clarence take him home, and Clarence falls for Susan, and Joe tries to find a way to get Susan to like Clarence, and one little white lie by Clarence to Susan that he knows music producer and conductor José Iturbi (as himself) soon spills out of control, and then Joe finds himself falling for Susan as well. Just so you know, for future reference, this is the one where Kelly dances with Jerry Mouse, in a story he tells. It's an amazing little break from the action, which does drag for the most part, but the dancing sequences and musical numbers are well done though. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Anchors_Aweigh
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Cool Runnings (1993), directed by Jon Turteltaub, (While You Were Sleeping (1995), National Treasure (2004) and The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)), this is a touching and very funny feelgood family film based on an unbelievable true story of Jamaica's entry for the 1988 Winter Olympics. It's a very enjoyable and likeable film, with some funny local humour and a sense of triumph around the proceedings. After Jamaican runners Derice Bannock (Leon), Yul Brynner (Malik Yoba) and Junior Bevil (Rawle D. Lewis) fail to qualify for the 1988 Summer Games in Seoul, Derice comes up with an idea, to compete in the Winter Olympics in Calgary as a bobsledder team. With help from local champion push cart racer Sanka Coffie (Doug E. Doug), they go to former Olympic bobsled champion Irving "Irv" Blitzer (John Candy), who reluctantly agrees to help them in their dream to compete in the Winter Olympics. Once in Calgary, they're looked down upon by other competing teams, who think they have no place there, but they're determined to not give in. It's a very entertaining and funny story, even if it did deviate from what really happened, it's quirky touch and situations the characters make it feel a bit like a Bill Forsyth film, but it's a great film for the family to watch, and it shows an entertaining contrast of cultures. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 K200801191202377nicegog

Carry On Matron (1972), the 23rd Carry On film, coming short after the critical and commercial letdowns of Carry On Henry and Carry On At Your Convenience in 1971, but 1972 saw the release of two of the best Carry On Films. The result is a downright hilarious film, the Carry On team have always loved hospital based settings and what goes on in the wards, (see Nurse/Doctor/Again Doctor), and this carries on that fine tradition. Based at Finisham Maternity Hospital, it has criminal mastermind Sid Carter (Sid James) planning a robbery of the hospitals supplies of the pill, which he plans to sell to foreign countries. For that, he gets his son Cyril (Kenneth Cope) to go in dressed as a nurse. Razz But, trying to keep it up being a nurse isn't as easy as it sounds, Cyril has to share a room with the bubbly nurse Susan Ball (Barbara Windsor) while Cyril is being lusted over by the randy Dr. Prodd (Terry Scott). Elsewhere in the hospital, a love triangle has developed between Sir Bernard Cutting (Kenneth Williams), who runs the hospital, the hospitals Matron (Hattie Jacques) and psychiatrist Dr. Francis A. Goode (Charles Hawtrey). There are alot of great gags in this one, both physical and verbal, the double entendres are on top form, and the whole ensemble cast is on fine form, and Kenneth Cope is rather attractive all dressed up as a woman. Razz 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Flight (2012), after a decade of being stuck with making motion capture films and after Disney unceremoniously canned their deal with him, Robert Zemeckis makes his first live action film since Cast Away (2000), and it's shows what we've been missing from this great director. It's also a stunning character piece, buoyed by a great cast and showing some compelling writing and directing. While flying from Orlando to Georgia, Airline captain William "Whip" Whitaker (Denzel Washington) controls the plane, when it goes into a nosedive by rolling it to get it out of the dive, and making an emergency landing in a field. Of the 102 passengers and crew on board, 96 survive, and Whitaker is being hailed as a hero. However, it's then revealed that Whitaker had been drinking heavily the night before and had taken cocaine as well. He retreats to his late father's farm, along with recovering drug addict Nicole (Kelly Reilly), who he met in the hospital. With help from union rep Charlie Anderson (Bruce Greenwood) and lawyer Hugh Lang (Don Cheadle), they try and ensure that Whitaker doesn't go to jail. It's a powerful and dramatic film, with Washington giving another fine performance, the scenes on the plane are gripping and even afterwards, Zemeckis manages to keep the mood and pace up and ensures it stays compelling and thoughtful character piece. Welcome back to reality, Mr. Zemeckis. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Flight

Intermission (2003), directed by John Crowley (Boy A (2007) and Is Anybody There? (2009)), and written by Mark O'Rowe (Perrier's Bounty (2009) and produced by Neil Jordan, this is a violent and rough black comedy showing a less than flattering side to Dublin, but it has a good cast to it's name as well, and for a time, it became the most successful Irish independent film, and it manages to be a likeable and compelling film about horrible people. A multi-stranded film set in Dublin, petty criminal Lehiff (Colin Farrell) is always getting into trouble with the law, and his nemesis is Garda Detective Jerry Lynch (Colm Meaney), who has made it his personal mission to fighting the criminals, and making Dublin safe. He's even got aspiring filmmaker Ben Campion (Tomás Ó Súilleabháin) to film him in action, but Ben focuses on Sally (Shirley Henderson), who helped the passengers of a double decker bus after it turned on it's side. Sally's sister Deirdre (Kelly Macdonald) has just split from John (Cillian Murphy), who is lost without Deirdre, and goes to great lengths to get her back. There's a lot going on in this film and it requires attention to keep up with it, but it does show that good cinema can come out of Ireland. It's got a good cast, with some good observations about life in the rougher parts of Dublin, and it's colourful characters. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Imtermission
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Sanka... you dead? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Gimli The Avenger wrote:
Sanka... you dead? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, I liked that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 am

It's one of my favourite films. I love it!

Zero Dark Thirty (1st view) - Good. Better than The Hurt Locker. Chastain was great and the first two hours rattled along nicely. But, like Argo and Django, I don't what makes them it so enchanting to the awards folk and the last 20 minutes were interminable - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (1st view) - From the director of The Artist and starring the same two leads, this is another film designed to look and film like a film from a specific period, in this case 60s spy films. It's a parody of the genre though, and Jean Dujardin's suave superspy is equal parts Jacques Clouseau and James Bond. Far less effective than The Artist but it's pleasant enough - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-OSS_117%2C_Le_Caire_nid_d%27espions_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Nighthawks (1981), directed by Bruce Malmuth (Hard to Kill (1990)), this is a down and dirty cop film with an international flavour. Originally pitched as The French Connection III before that idea was nixed, this was meant to be an epic police/crime saga, but Universal had absolutely no faith in the film, and couldn't understand it's complex plot. So they recut it to make it more commercial, which is a shame, as it has potential. In New York, Detectives Deke DaSilva (Sylvester Stallone) and Matthew Fox (Billy Dee Williams) are stuggling to control a crimewave that has come over from Europe, in the form of terrorist Heymar Reinhardt, alias Wulfgar (Rutger Hauer), who recently wrecked havoc in London and Paris. DaSilva and Fox are transfered from Street Crime Unit and into a special Federal-State Unit to deal with Wulfgar, they're briefed by British Counter-terrorist specialist Peter Hartman (Nigel Davenport) from INTERPOL on what to expect from Wulfgar, who has come to New York with fellow terrorist Shakka Holland (Persis Khambatta), but DaSilva worries that they might not be the right men for the job. It's a well made action film, with some well staged scenes, such as one on the Roosevelt Island Cable Car, it also has a good score by Keith Emerson, which adds to the tense mood of the film. It's a bit of an underrated film, but it makes you wonder if the longer cut was any better. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Nighthawks_ver2-361x550

Escape from New York (1981), after the success of Halloween (1978), this enabled John Carpenter to make bigger films, and right after he finished up on The Fog (1980), he began work on this sci-fi adventure film, which was seen by Carpenter as a social comment on the aftermath of Watergate. It's a good film, cemented in B-Movie terminology, but it has an absolutely brilliant cast and some good imaginative set-pieces on display. In 1997, 9 years after Manhattan Island was turned into a giant maximum security prison, in which no-one ever gets off the island, Air Force One, carrying the President (Donald Pleasence) crashes into Manhattan, and the President is taken hostage. To save him, Police Commissioner Bob Hauk (Lee Van Cleef) offers a deal to soldier-turned-criminal Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell), that if he gets in to Manhattan, saves the President, and gets out within 24 hours, Plissken will be pardoned of his crimes. Plissken goes in, and with help from a cabbie (Ernest Borgnine) and The Brain (Harry Dean Stanton), they go to The Duke (Isaac Hayes) who may or may not have the President. It's a suspenseful and well imagined film, even the computer graphics the police use to navigate Manhattan haven't aged. Russell makes a good action hero, and Carpenter does well with a meagre budget too. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 1346350876-2625967272_n
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Bullet to the Head (2012), directed by Walter Hill, this is his first film for the big screen since Undisputed (2002), this legendary director was burnt out after what happened on Supernova (2000), but then he was offered this adaptation of the French graphic novel Du Plomb Dans La Tete by Alexis Nolent, and it's a triumphant comeback for Hill, further aided by the presence of a great action star, who is perfect for a film like this. Set in New Orleans, professional assassin Jimmy Bobo (Sylvester Stallone) is hunting for the man who killed his partner Louis Blanchard (Jon Seda), that man is Keegan (Jason Momoa), who was sent by Robert Morel (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) to avenge the death of corrupt cop Hank Greely (Holt McCallany), who Bobo and Blanchard saw to. Detective Taylor Kwon (Sung Kang) arrives in New Orleans to investigate Greely's death, and it leads him to Bobo, but they're targeted by Morel's men, who want to silence Kwon. But, Bobo is about to go on the offensive, but Kwon wants to do it by the book, then Keegan goes for Bobo's daughter Lisa (Sarah Shahi). This is a very silly action film, and it harks back to what was made in the 1980's, but it's great to see this kind of film being made now. Sly makes a great world-weary hero, whose way of dealing with trouble is the best way, even New Orleans itself is a character in the film. Welcome back, Mr. Hill. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 84310fe3-adfb-404a-be9e-4e44e0f9cfdc

Ironweed (1987), directed by Héctor Babenco (Pixote (1981), Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985) and At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)), and adapted by William Kennedy from his own 1983 novel. This is a dark and depressing drama with a good cast to it's name, but the film buckles under the weight of it's preachy and emotional message. Having said that, it's not a bad film, but it makes for uncomfortable viewing. In 1937, Francis Phelan (Jack Nicholson) has spent the last 25 years on the road and away from Albany, New York. Back in 1910, while drunk, he dropped his infant son, killing him. Now washed up and with nowhere else to go, he returns to his hometown, he hooks up with his former lover and drinking buddy Helen Archer (Meryl Streep), who is also on the streets and has a drinking habit too. However, as soon as Francis is back in town, he becomes haunted by visions of the past, including flashbacks and ghosts of people who were alive when Francis was younger. But Francis wants to make it up with his estranged wife Annie Phelan (Carroll Baker), who he abandoned all those years back. It is a good film, but it does drag in parts, and this is a film which requires your attention, but there is some good performances from it's leads, and Babenco is a bit of an unsung director with a good style, but it could have been something more. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Ironweed-1987-L-1kmmBX
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Bound (1996), the directorial debut of Andy and Larry Wachowski, who had ran a carpentry business in Chicago, while doing comic books as a sideline. They got into Hollywood when their debut script Assassins (1995) was made into a film, even though it was heavily rewritten they got the chance to make their own film, without interference. A modern day film noir, which is clever, smart and very twisty. It was a good start to their directorial career. Ex-convict Corky (Gina Gershon), has just got out of jail after 5 years, and she goes to a swanky condominium to work as a painter and decorator, it's here where she meets couple Violet (Jennifer Tilly) and Caesar (Joe Pantoliano), who live next door. Caesar is a money launderer for the Mafia, but Violet is unhappy with their relationship and she finds solace with Corky, and they begin a lesbian affair, and soon hatch a plan to help Violet get away from Caesar and start a new life. It starts after Caesar comes home with $2 million in blood soaked notes that someone had stolen from the Mafia, Corky and Violet plan to steal the money for themselves, but will it go to plan?? It's a very clever thriller, and nothing here is what it seems, and it's a very stylised noirish thriller, which exudes sexuality. Even though the Wachowski's had never directed before this, they showed such confidence and craftiness, then they unleashed The Matrix (1999) on the world. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 44885465

Brother (2000), directed by Takeshi Kitano, (Violent Cop (1989), Boiling Point (1990) and Hana-Bi (1997)), this is a highly violent gangster thriller which would be Kitano's first film outside Japan, funded with help of Oscar-winning British producer Jeremy Thomas. This film should have got Kitano mainstream recognition, but the experience of filming in America took it's toll on Kitano, it's a good film but there's nothing special about it. Yakuza officer Yamamoto (Kitano) has come to Los Angeles after a bloody gang war in Tokyo, which left him a wanted man, disgraced and marked for death. In LA, Yamamoto tracks down his half-brother Ken (Claude Maki) and Ken's friend, small time drugs dealer Denny (Omar Epps). Yamamoto joins Ken's gang, and his way of violence is shocking for their American counterparts, and it's before long before Yamamoto has made a new gang by joining forces with crime lord Shirase (Masaya Katô), whose power and size throughout the LA underworld is growing. But when the Mafia try to warn the gang to back off, Yamamoto has to make a difficult decision, back down or fight back. It's well made, and it is violent and Kitano manages to multi-task well as actor, writer, editor and director, and he does well with his first English language film. Even though stuff like this has been done before, there is some features to admire. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Brother01
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969), from Hammer Productions, comes the 5th Frankenstein film in their series of 7. But, this one is significant as it doesn't have a monster as such, and the monster within this film is the creator himself, who seems to have gone way too far with his experiments. It's a typical Hammer Horror film, but also a suspenseful one and an exciting one, which is also blessed with a good British cast. This one has Baron Victor Frankenstein (Peter Cushing), now on the run from the authorities and living under aliases, getting a job at an insane asylum, and blackmailing a young couple Dr. Karl Holst (Simon Ward) and Anna (Veronica Carlson), who have been stealing medical drugs from the asylum, into using the basement of their house for his experiments. Which regards the mentally ill Dr. Brandt (George Pravda), Frankenstein plans to perform the first brain transplantation ever, which will ensure Dr. Brandt can live in another man's body, but as usual nothing goes to plan, especially when Brandt's widow (Maxine Audley) comes calling. It's dated a bit since it was first released, but in terms of production, it's one of the best Hammers for set design, (it looks like they pushed the boat out with this one.) Peter Cushing shows off an evil streak, and is complimented by a great cast including Thorley Walters, Geoffrey Bayldon and Freddie Jones. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Frankensteinmustbedestr

Scars of Dracula (1970), from Hammer, this was their 6th Dracula film, and Hammer started production on this one nearly immediately after Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) had wrapped, and when it was released in the UK and America, it was shown on a double bill with The Horror of Frankenstein (1970). It's a good Dracula, with it's star being given a lot more to do this time around, and even a lot more dialogue to say as well. Count Dracula (Christopher Lee) has been resurrected yet again, and he has an army of bats to wreck havoc on the village that surrounds his castle. Meanwhile, libertine Paul Carlson (Christopher Matthews) has incurred the wrath of the town of Kleinenberg, after having it off with many of the young women in the town, including the daughter of the Burgomaster (Bob Todd), he flees up to Dracula's castle, where he's greeted by the count, his beautiful companion Tania (Anouska Hempel) and his manservant Klove (Patrick Troughton). But, Paul soon discovers he's being held prisoner, and it's before long that his brother Simon (Dennis Waterman) and his fiancee Sarah (Jenny Hanley) go looking for him. It's more of the usual fare that you would expect from Hammer, but it is a good one, and it does have a few suspenseful moments, and a lot more blood this time around, and even Lee doesn't come across as an extended cameo, he relishes the part here. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 3963-poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:45 am

Slade in Flame (1975), Slade were a huge band in the early 1970's, and they were offered the chance to make a film by Goodtimes Enterprises, which was co-owned by David Puttnam. They nearly did a Quatermass Experiment spoof called The Quite A Mess Experiment. But they opted for something a bit more gritty and realistic, they wanted to show what the music industry was really like. It alienated fans then, but it's amazing to watch. It begins in the 1960's, where two rival bands, one led by Jack Daniels (Alan Lake) and the other called The Undertakers, led by Stoker (Noddy Holder), get into quarrels. But, the two bands merge, with Charlie (Don Powell), Barry (Dave Hill) and Paul (Jim Lea) joining Stoker's new band called Flame, which is managed by the scheming Ron Harding (Johnny Shannon), who seems to take them for mugs, so Flame go with Robert Seymour (Tom Conti), a marketing man who has big plans for Flame. They do make it big, but they get involved in a shootout at a pirate radio station, and Harding pesters them violently, wanting a cut of their earnings. Directed by Richard Loncraine (The Missionary (1982), Richard III (1995)), this is the side of the music industry that record companies would rather you didn't know about, but Slade were brave and ballsy enough to expose it on screen at the time. You won't forget this one in a hurry, and it's a good companion piece with That'll Be The Day (1973). 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 70s-rock-n-roll-the-70s-11796688-352-470

Malcolm X (1992), directed by Spike Lee, this was a passion project for both him and producer Marvin Worth, the latter had been trying for over 25 years to do a film based on The Autobiography of Malcolm X. After director Norman Jewison left the project due to script problems, Lee signed up, and it was his most epic film to date, while Lee's films have an angry voice about them, this is a very respectful biopic, and the only angry voice is that of it's title character. Malcolm Little (Denzel Washington) was a small time drug pusher and pimp in Boston in the 1940's known as 'Detroit Red', however Malcolm was sentenced to 8 to 10 years in prison for robbing the home of a rich white couple. In prison, Malcolm reads the bible and becomes a follower of the readings and teachings of black American religious leader Elijah Muhammad (Al Freeman, Jr.), who takes Malcolm under his wing upon his release. Malcolm converts to Islam, and becomes Malcolm X, and he encourages blacks to stand up against the whites, but he soon becomes disillusioned with Elijah's teachings, and opts for a more peaceful activism. It's a very powerful film, and Lee captures the time period well, and Washington gives off a powerful and enigmatic performance. It might be a bit overlong, but it's a really captivating and is a good screen protrayal of one of the great activists of the 20th Century. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Emimagecustomurlhttpwww
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 am

It's Complicated (1st view) - Predictable romcom helped along by a good cast - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 220px-Its_complicated_ver2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock   What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I've Just Watched: Part 3 - The Search for Spock
Page 9 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22 ... 36  Next