Pages Of Power 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Worst Film Of...
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm by Jinks

» Rate the last film the above user watched.
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 pm by Jinks

» Getting to know you
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm by Jinks

» This or That
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm by Jinks

» Favourite Song Of
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» The Pointless Movie Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» Four Letter Word Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm by Donald McKinney

What I've Just Watched: Part 2

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am

Donald McKinney wrote:
Gimli, what were you thinking?? Shocked

I don't think I was thinking! Laughing

Shame you didn't like The Tourist. I was quite looking forward to that.
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't know what happened, something felt off. Neutral

Mars Attacks! (1996), one of Tim Burton's most underrated films, and probabily the most tongue-in-cheek of all, after the biopic Ed Wood (1994), alot of this feels like the sort of film Wood himself would have made, and it's also Burton's funniest film to date, and he does well with the lo-fi sci-fi on display. It's a multi-layered story, focusing the activities of a number of people, (from the US President James Dale (Jack Nicholson), to people working in Las Vegas, to trailer trash in Kansas), and how the visitation of martians from Mars affects them all, especially when the martians display a nasty, savage sense of humour, and things turn nasty, and how the people of Earth survive, especially when one elderly grandmother has an unlikely secret weapon. The film is a wonderful homage to old B-Movie sci-fi films of the 1960's, only this one is done on a much larger budget, and it has an all star cast, (including Glenn Close, Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito, Tom Jones, Sarah Jessica Parker, Rod Steiger, Michael J. Fox, Martin Short, Jack Black, etc.) It's a very savage and very funny alien invasion film, if only more sci-fi films could follow suit. Oh, and this was better than the other alien invasion film of 1996, Independence Day. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Mars_attacks_ver1

Carry On Cowboy (1965), for the 11th film in Britain's best comedy series, they pushed the boat out a bit with the production. They took on the Western genre, and didn't even have to go to America to shoot it, (opting to use Chobham Common in Surrey and Pinewood Studios), and the end result is very effective, and it's alot more better than most westerns ever made. It's one of the funniest of the series, with good jokes and hilarious performances. Set in Stodge City, it has the notorious Rumpo Kid (Sid James) coming to town, he has Sheriff Earp (Jon Pertwee) killed, so Judge Burke (Kenneth Williams, always hilarious) calls for a Marshall to be sent from Washington. However, mistaken identity follows, when they send the wrong type of Marshall, this one is English sanitation engineer Marshal P. Knutt (Jim Dale), who is sent along to 'clean up' Stodge City. Judge Burke learns of Knutt's true identity, but he still thinks he's the man for the job. It's a very funny entry in the series, and it does well with spoofing the western genre. With smutty double-entendres and good slight gags, and then there's Charles Hawtrey playing Indian chief Big Heap with a camp English accent, ("Oh, helloooo!!" Razz) One of the best Carry On films, well worth a look. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 3:36 pm

S.O.B. (1981), after the success of 10 (1979), Blake Edwards set about making this satire on Hollywood, which was very dirty minded and alot more savage than other films about Hollywood like Get Shorty (1995). It's very amusing, and has some laugh out loud moments in it, and isn't as bad as what some critics make out. The film is about a successful producer/director Felix Farmer (Richard Mulligan, who steals the film), who has had many successes but has just had the first flop of his career with Night Wind which starred his wife Sally Miles (Julie Andrews), which burns him out and he tries to kill himself. The studio chief, David Blackman (Robert Vaughn) wants to recut the film, but after walking in on a sleezy Hollywood party, Farmer has a better idea, he decides to remake Night Wind as an X-rated adult film, feeling that the reason the film flopped is that it had no sex in it, and everyone wants sex in films. The studio and Farmer's wife are against this idea, but Farmer is determined to go through with it. There are some really good moments in this, and a brilliant supporting cast including William Holden, Robert Preston, Robert Webber, Shelley Winters, Loretta Swit and Larry Hagman. It is a savage look at Hollywood, with colourful characters and good dialogue. You'll leave this singing Polly Wolly Doodle all the day... Razz 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 SOBPoster1981

Tron: Legacy (2010), and so, 28 years later after the original, this belated sequel to Tron (1982) finally comes. Better late than never, but technology has moved along. The grid still looks good, and it is amazing that there's a computer generated film like this at the moment, but when the lights go up, you are left with a bit of a headache. It has Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) going missing in 1989, claiming he was on the cusp of something that would revolutionise technology, he just vanished without trace. 20 years later, his son Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) has never got over his father going missing. However, his fathers friend Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner) received a page from Kevin's old video arcade. Sam goes, and is blasted into the Grid, where he discovers his father's program Clu (Bridges looking 25 years younger), as a tyranical leader, and Kevin Flynn now living as a guru like hermit with program Quorra (Olivia Wilde). The battle begins to try and get home from out of the grid, and defeat Clu. While it's great to see the return of Tron, something like this could have benefited from a better story. Bridges plays both parts well, and there's an amusing little cameo from Michael Sheen. It does require a little patience, and the action scenes are but all too few. Plus, the 3D can induce migranes. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Tron-Legacy-Poster-332x490

Bad Santa (2003), a different kind of Christmas film. This one is NOT for the family to watch. In fact, it's one for the grown-ups. Who said Christmas films have to be for the family?? Directed by Ghost World's Terry Zwigoff and based on an idea by the Coen Brothers. This is a contender for one of the best Christmas films ever made, and it's also one of the funniest too. It follows drunken, boorish criminal Willie T. Stokes (Billy Bob Thornton), who posed as a shopping mall Santa with his partner in crime elf Marcus (Tony Cox). While posing as Santa and his elf, they plan to rob the mall, which they do on Christmas Eve. Until one year, when Stokes becomes involved with (Brett Kelly), an overweight boy who believes Stokes really is Santa. Plus, there's trouble when Stokes' foul-mouth gets him into trouble with Mall manager Bob Chipeska (John Ritter) and Mall inspector Gin (Bernie Mac), but can Stokes change his ways?? It's a dirty, rude film but with a heart of gold, it has some brilliant gags, dialogue and scenes along the way. It's different from all the rest which is what makes it stand out. Thornton makes a brilliant down and dirty, but likeable crook, but it's the scenes with Cox and Kelly that stand out. Throw away all the other Christmas films, Bad Santa tops them all!! And remember, if it has anal sex in it, then it's a 5 star masterpiece!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 1000871

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (2010), after making it big with Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007). Edgar Wright heads off to Hollywood for this adaptation of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Canadian Manga series. It's a faithful comic book adaptation, and it's also a video game film, but not in the normal sense. It proves that Wright is one of the best directors working today. Set in Toronto, it has slacker Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) who is bass player in a band called Sex Bob-Omb, and he's dating high-school girl Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), but then Scott meets the girl of his dreams, quite literally. Ramona V. Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), and eventually talks Ramona into dating him. However, there's one big problem, and it's not having to dump Knives for Ramona. Nope, Scott has to defeat Ramona's 7 Evil Ex Boyfriends, who include action star Lucas Lee (Chris Evans), vegan rocker Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh) and the mysterious Gideon Gordon Graves (Jason Schwartzman). It's a very well made film with an original look. It's true to the source material, and it's a love letter to punch-'em-up video games of old. The cast are brilliant, and this should help Wright make it big, this is a great, exciting and very funny romance. 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Scott-pilgrim-international-poster_328x481
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Theatre of Blood (1973), starring the great Vincent Price, and an all star British cast, and directed by Douglas Hickox, (Entertaining Mr. Sloane (1970), Brannigan (1975) and Zulu Dawn (1979)), this is a very cheesy and entertaining British horror film with a brilliant splash of humour throughout courtesy of it's star who was game for anything. It has Shakespearian actor Edward Lionheart (Price) plotting revenge on a critics circle who denied him an award. His plan involves killing in ways from Shakespeare plays. It begins when George Maxwell (Michael Hordern) is killed in a scene reminiscent of Julius Caesar, and the murders continue, from Hector Snipe (Dennis Price) meeting a sticky end by way of Hector in Troilus and Cressida and Harold Sprout (Arthur Lowe) is beheaded in a scene from the Bard's Cymbeline. Inspector Boot (Milo O'Shea) wants to put a stop to these murders, but the elusive Lionheart, with help from his daughter Edwina (Diana Rigg) are masters of disguise, and always one stop ahead of the law, and they've saved the worst fate for Peregrine Devlin (Ian Hendry). It's a very good film, and seeing Price dressing up in costumes with funny accents just adds to the fun, and the cast is rounded out by Eric Sykes, Robert Morley, Jack Hawkins and Diana Dors!! Very Happy 4.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Theatreofbloodposter

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), the second Frankenstein film to have been produced by Hammer. This had Peter Cushing reprising his role as the mad Baron Victor Frankenstein. It's not as gory as what later Hammer Horror later were, quite tame for the time actually, but like so many Hammer films, it succeeds. It has Victor Frankenstein (Cushing), having escaped the guillotine, and now working under the name of Doctor Stein and working as a successful physician in another town. However, he is blackmailed by Hans Kleve (Francis Matthews), a young doctor on a local medical council who will keep Frankenstein's secret if Kleve can be his apprentice. Frankenstein is up to his usual tricks again, trying to create an artificial brain, but is unsuccessful. So, he promises deformed dwarf Karl (Oscar Quitak) a new body, which he agrees to. So, Karl's brain is put into the body of Frankenstein's new creation (Michael Gwynn). All seems well, but then Karl in his new body escapes, and after a fight, is left severly brain damaged, and goes off on a rampage, and word gets out around the town of who caused this. It's a good film, though alot of Hammer sequels were mostly the same, but this has it's moments, although the technology for the mid-1860's in the film are a bit advanced. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Revengetitle
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971), produced by American International Pictures, (who could have been the American equivelant to Hammer), and made in England. This is a great cheesy horror film with a memorable lead performance and a brilliant supporting cast as well. You don't get horror films with a surreal nature like this anymore. It has deformed music scholar and organist Dr. Anton Phibes (Vincent Price) getting revenge on the doctors who could have saved the life of his wife who died a few years previously, and takes revenge by way of The Ten Plagues of Egypt. We see Dr. Dunwoody (Edward Burnham) being mauled to death by a plague of bats, Dr. Longstreet (Terry-Thomas) has all of the blood drained out of his body, Dr. Kitaj (Peter Gilmore) is eaten by rats while flying a plane and Nurse Allen (Susan Travers) is covered in sprout juice and her flesh is eaten by locusts. Scotland Yard police Inspectors Harry Trout (Peter Jeffrey) and Waverley (John Cater) go off to try and find Phibes, yet Phibes has a final nasty revenge for chief Dr. Vesalius (Joseph Cotten). Done on the cheap and it shows, but it's still good fun, especially when we see Phibes a clockwork band he does serenades with in his spare time. We need more horror films like this again, ones that have a dark streak of humour and fun. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 The_abominable_dr_phibes%20poster(1)

Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972), with The Abominable Dr. Phibes a big success, American International chiefs James H. Nicholson and Samuel Z. Arkoff immediately started production on this sequel, with the great Vincent Price reprising his role as the deformed organist, it's a good sequel, but it's filled with alot of "how the hell would he be able to manage to do that??" moments. It has Dr. Anton Phibes (Price), awakening after being in suspended animation for 3 years, and planning an expedition to Egypt to resurrect his dead wife. However, he has trouble from his old rival Darrus Beiderbeck (Robert Quarry), who stole an ancient papyrus Phibes had, although Phibes is able to get it back, and Phibes heads for Egypt. Years earlier, Phibes had build his own crypt within a mountain, complete with a clockwork band. However, when Beiderbeck arrives on the scene, he's wanting the same thing Phibes is seeking for, eternal life, but to throw Beiderbeck off the trail, the body count goes up again, and Inspectors Trout (Peter Jeffrey) and Waverly (John Cater) are on his trail. It's not as good as the first film, and it's alot more camp in tone, and alot more unbelievable, but Price is always worth watching. This one has a brilliant supporting cast with Peter Cushing, Beryl Reid, Terry-Thomas and John Thaw!! Very Happy 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Drphibesrisesagainposters
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am

Probably my last update of the year!

Star Trek (2nd view) - A good way to restart the franchise - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Startrekposter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1 (1st view) - Alan Rickman. Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Julie Walters, Helena Bonham Carter, Peter Mullan, Jason Isaacs, Mark Williams, Michael Gambon, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Helen McCrory, Fiona Shaw, Timothy Spall, Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Brendan Gleeson, David Thewlis, Frances de la Tour, Richard Griffiths, Simon McBurney, Rhys Ifans, Robbie Coltrane. That's a phenomenally good cast. So it's a great shame that none of them get more than 5 minutes on screen, some mere seconds, and we spend a good half of the film in the presence of the three kids who haven't really got any better despite having 7 films in which to do so. The look of the film was grand and the air of menace as well. In many ways I do prefer the latter films to their respective books, the novels taking such a darker tone at times they became almost unrecognisable from the original, the films have made that progression smoother. At the same time, they've kept in too much of the filler from the books whilst removing some of the better aspects. There's a perfect Harry Potter that lies somewhere between the films and the books. But it was hard to not get swept along by the film, and I'm greatly looking forward to the last one. And the animated segment might be the best thing in all 7 films. That or Mullan flinging spells left, right and centre in the Ministry of Magic. But please, no more spectral teenage sex - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-HP7part1poster

Valkyrie (1st view) - Not as bad as some reviews had made be believe - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Valkyrie_poster

Agora (1st view) - Interesting and visually impressive film about the Greek scientist Hypatia - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Agoraposter09

Horton Hears A Who! (1st view) - Great fun, spoiled only by he silly song and dance at the end - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Horton_a_who

Plan 9 From Outer Space (1st view) - Worst film of all time? Not a chance. It's not even the worst b-movie science fiction film from 1959. Can't deny how shonky the whole thing is but it's a whole lot more enjoyable than many other, much lauded, sci-fi offerings, and not even in a "so bad it's good" way either. Criswell is my new hero and this film is brilliant - 5/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Plan_nine_from_outer_space

Watchmen (1st view) -Or perhaps this should be first view, as this is the longer cut that includes Tales of The Black Freighter. There's a lot that works well in this film, Some of the visuals are striking, perfect reproductions from the book. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley are perfect. And I liked the changed ending an awful lot. But the book's still better. The credit's are brilliant though. I kinda wish the whole film could have been like that. No idea how that would've worked though - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 WatchmenPosterFinal

Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:32 am

Blades Of Glory (2nd view) - Will Ferrell might just be the most annoying man on the planet, but he's not quite as bad as usual in this film. Incredibly juvenile and half of the jokes simply don't work, but when it's on form there are laughs to be had - 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Bladesofglory2007

The Cat Returns (1st view) - Good ol' Ghibli. You can always rely on their films to suck - 2/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 230px-Cat_Returns

Kick-Ass (2nd view) - Great fun! - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Kick-Ass_film_poster

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2nd view) - Great fun! - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World_teaser
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Nowhere Boy (2009), the directorial debut of artist and photographer Sam Taylor-Wood, and written by Control's Matt Greenhalgh, adapted from a memoir by Julia Baird, the estranged half-sister of John Lennon. This is about Lennon's early life, and the two women that shaped his life. It begins in the mid-1950's, John Lennon (Aaron Johnson) is living with his Aunt Mimi (Kristin Scott Thomas), and has been ever since he was 5 years old, Lennon's mother Julia (Anne-Marie Duff) is a free spirit, who has several children from different relationships. Lennon is a troublemaker, getting into trouble at school, and dodging bus fares by riding on the roof. But, he soon finds, thanks to his estranged, eccentric mother, that his calling in life is music. She teaches John to play the banjo, and soon gets his own guitar, and with his school mates, forms his own band called The Quarrymen, and how John would meet Paul McCartney (Thomas Brodie Sangster) and George Harrison (Sam Bell). But, Lennon's mother is on a path to self-destruction, despite warnings from Aunt Mimi. It's much darker than the promotion makes out, Johnson makes a good Lennon, even if he doesn't look or sound like him, he convey's Lennon's biting sarcasm well. This works well as a companion piece with Backbeat (1994), which shows what happened next. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 5245751008_e06c626a26

House on Haunted Hill (1959), from B-Movie Horror maestro William Castle, this is an enjoyable, cheesy horror film made then for $200,000. It's got what you'd expect from cheesy horror films like this of the period, but it would have a big influence on other filmmakers for years to come, including Hitchcock with Psycho (1960). It has Vincent Price as eccentric millionaire Fredrick Loren, who with his fourth wife Annabel (Carol Ohmart) are holding a party at their mansion with a difference. The guests at this party include Nora Manning (Carolyn Craig), Lance Schroeder (Richard Long), Watson Pritchard (Elisha Cook), Dr. David Trent (Alan Marshal) and Ruth Bridgers (Julie Mitchum). Loren makes a bet with his guests, if they can survive the night in this house, they will each win $10,000. Annabel tries to convince the guests that her husband is psychotic, and is trying to kill them, even though Loren providing the guests with guns. It becomes a series of mind games, with the guests playing off one another, who is in league with who, and the body counts starts. For reference, this is the one with the skeleton that comes to life, but even though this is horror, it's obvious that this is played for laughs, and Price is compelling as always, sinister but always entertaining. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Rihrgx
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Man on Fire (2004), directed by Tony Scott, and adapted from A. J. Quinnell's 1981 novel, which had been adapted already as a film in 1987 starring Scott Glenn and Joe Pesci. This is a powerful, hyperactive revenge action thriller, using Scott's usual glossy palate, but it's a very compelling story and very exciting too. Set in Mexico City, it has former Marine John Creasy (Denzel Washington) getting a job with businessman Samuel Ramos (Marc Anthony), through Creasy's old partner Paul Rayburn (Christopher Walken). Creasy is hired because of the high rate of kidnappings in Mexico City, and he's assigned to protect Ramos' daughter Pita (Dakota Fanning). Pita takes an instant liking to Creasy, the relationship is difficult at first, but they form a bond. However, one day, Pita is kidnapped in an ambush by a kidnapping syndicate led by "The Voice" (Roberto Sosa), and the ransom drop-off is thwarted by another group called La Hermandad. Creasy vows to find who was responsible for Pita's kidnapping, and goes off on a mission of vengeance into a world of corruption and double-crossing. Scott brings out a brash, colourful side to Mexico City, but without showing it in a bad light with all the kidnappings. Washington is a hard man in this, but you root for him, it's the best of his films with Scott, and with support from Giancarlo Giannini, Radha Mitchell and Mickey Rourke. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Man_on_fireposter

Quantum of Solace (2008), Bond rides again with his 22nd film, or if you're going with the reboot, his 2nd adventure. This time, James Bond (Daniel Craig), continues on from Casino Royale, and is told of a mysterious organisation known as Quantum by Mr. White (, and Bond is sent to investigate more about the organisation, which takes him from Italy to Haiti to Austria and Bolivia, and face to face with the ruthless environmentalist Dominic Greene (Mathieu Amalric). But, he's still in an emotionally fragile state over losing Vesper Lynd, even though she betrayed him and MI6, plus his shoot-first, ask-questions-later attitude doesn't go down well at all with his boss M (Judi Dench), who tries to restrict his moves, but to no avail. It is a very good film, and this darker, harder edge now suits Bond, (whereas it sadly looked quite out of place 20 years ago in the Timothy Dalton era.) Craig has made the role his, and it'll be interesting to see where he takes Bond next. It's well made, (thanks to director Mark Forster for that one), and it's got some really good moments of action within, and with it's focused, to the point attitude, it doesn't last too long either, unlike other Bond films. Oh, and the theme by Jack White and Alicia Keys is brilliant. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 007_-_Quantum_Of_Solace_-_Poster_01__2008_
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Girl 6 (1996), after nearly a decade of heavy, preachy urban films like She's Gotta Have It (1986), Do the Right Thing (1989) and Jungle Fever (1991). Spike Lee decided to do something different, a very adult film by playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. There's something very offbeat and quirky about this film, but it's frank, humourous depiction of phone sex keeps the film on it's feet. It has aspiring actress Judy (Theresa Randle), who refuses to strip for Quentin Tarantino during an audition, despite the promising sound of the film. Her agent (John Turturro) drops her, and Judy's acting coach (Susan Batson) isn't happy either. Juggling several different jobs, Judy takes a job at a "friendly phone line", she takes a liking to her boss Lil (Jenifer Lewis), and the "friendly phone line" turns out to be a sex phone chat line. She begins the job as "Girl 6", and uses her acting talents to great use throughout this job. She becomes popular with regular callers, however, she comes to trust them just a little too much, and this takes it's toll mentally on Judy and begins a decent into a nervous breakdown. It's got some good dialogue and movie references throughout. Lee lightened up with this one, and he should try something like this again, plus, it has a great soundtrack of songs by Prince, and cameos from Naomi Campbell, Halle Berry, Ron Silver and Madonna. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Girl_six_poster

The Fifth Element (1997), Luc Besson dreamt this up as a teenager, and it took until the success of Leon (1994) for him to get his dream project up and running. A very offbeat sci-fi film, but one with alot of imagination on display. It's a pity Besson hasn't done more films like this again, as this is far better than most other sci-fi films out there today, and it's alot more fun too. Set in 2263, it has New York cab driver and ex-special forces soldier getting involved with the beautiful Leeloo (Milla Jovovich), whose remains were found, and was reconstructed as a human being. Turns out Leeloo is the key to the survival of humanity, in conjuntion with 4 stones representing the classical elements, Earth, Fire, Water and Air, which will present the "Great Evil". But, it turns out evil industrialist Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (Gary Oldman) is looking for the stones as well. Dallas, Leeloo and priest Vito Cornelius (Ian Holm), who has had a key to the room of stones, head off looking for the stones before Zorg gets his hands on them. The depiction of New York City in this film is jaw-dropping, and the costumes by Jean-Paul Gaultier steal the film. It does have it's flaws (coughchristuckercough), but it's likeable and Besson should return to films like this, he just seems to produce now. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 2hp12ra
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 am

The Break-Up (1st view) - Enjoyable romantic comedy that's refreshingly unsentimental - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Break_up

Ladyhawke (2nd view) - I think there were only three decent fantasy films made in the 80s. Despite starring Rutger Hauer, this is one of them - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Ladyhawke_ver1

Clue (1st view) - Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the library. That's always the outcome whenever I play Cluedo anyway, and the average game of Cluedo is generally more entertaining than this. But it is still fun, especially when Tim Curry takes the lead - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Clue_Poster

The Love Bug (10th+ view) - My childhood would have been a lot less fun were it not for the films of Robert Stevenson. Blackbeard's Ghost, The Absent-Minded Professor, Son Of Flubber, In Search of the Castaways, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing, That Darn Cat! and 2 Herbie films, The Love Bug being the first in the series. All the Herbie films are great (well, perhaps not Fully Loaded) and this was a great start to the series. David Tomlinson is brilliant as the villain of the piece - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Lovebugmviepstr

Bee Movie (1st view) - More enjoyable than most of the animated films from Dreamworks, with perhaps a greater emphasis on story and jokes than pop culture gags and big names - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Bee_movie_ver2
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:57 pm

The Relic (1997), based upon the 1995 novel by Douglas J. Preston and Lincoln Child, and directed by Peter Hyams (Capricorn One, Outland). This is a special effects thriller, where it's difficult to make out what the creature killing everyone is until late on in the film. The special effects are good but it's just like every other monster movie that's gone before it. The film has anthropologist John Whitney (Lewis Van Bergen) discovering a new tribe in South America, and sending artifacts back to the Museum of Natural History in Chicago. When the ship arrives back on the Illinois River 6 weeks later, the crew are all discovered to be murdered. Meanwhile at the museum, Dr. Margo Green (Penelope Ann Miller, whatever happened to her??) and Dr. Albert Frock (James Whitmore) look into the containers Whitney brought back, to discover leaves coated in a strange bacteria, used as packing for a stone statue. Then murders begin, homicide detective Vincent D'Agosta (Tom Sizemore) insists the museum be closed pending an investigation, but museum director Dr. Ann Cuthbert (Linda Hunt) insists it stays open for a gala night. Big mistake. It's essentially Alien in a museum, a battle for survival by people in the museum. It has it's moments of suspense, and the creature effects done by Stan Winston are very effective, but it's the usual B Movie hokum done in Species. Razz 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Relic_ver1

Hard Rain (1998), a film with a troubled history, it was originally called The Flood, but after months of wrangling and reshooting and more editing, it became Hard Rain (stupid name), to avoid people thinking it was a disaster film, when it was a heist film. It could have been worse, but it could have been alot better, despite some very effective special effects. Set in the town of Huntingburg, Indiana, the worst rainstorm in years is battering the area, armored truck drivers Tom (Christian Slater) and his uncle Charlie (Edward Asner) are collecting money from banks affects by flood waters, but they are ambushed by Jim (Morgan Freeman) and his gang of armed robbers, Kenny (Michael Goorjian), Mr Mehlor (Dann Florek) and Ray (Ricky Harris), who want to rob the truck of $3 million. Charlie is shot, and Tom escapes with the money into the town, and hides it. Tom tells the local Sheriff (Randy Quaid) about the gang looking for the money, so they go to put a stop to it, and Tom ends up with local church restorer Karen (Minnie Driver). Meanwhile, the nearby dam is near to bursting point by the rising waters, adding to the troubles. Despite good intentions, it comes off quite half baked, with some silly action sequences throughout. Despite a good cast, and a scene stealing cameo from Betty White, and the re-editing, it's still a disaster film, in more ways that one. 2.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Hard_rain_ver3
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:13 pm

The Heartbreak Kid (1972), written for the screen by Neil Simon, adapted from Bruce Jay Friedman's short story A Change of Plan, and directed by Elaine May. This is a gentle romantic comedy with a dark streak, but it makes a good companion piece to The Graduate (1967), which was directed by May's old comedy partner, Mike Nichols. This has thirtysomething Jewish loner Lennie Cantrow (Charles Grodin), who ends up married to Lila (Jeannie Berlin, May's daughter). They head off from New York for a honeymoon on Miami Beach. However, as they drive down, Lennie becomes easily irritated by Lila's unusual habits, and she turns out to be very emotionally needy. After sunbathing without sunblock leaves Lila with a bad case of sunburn. Lennie finds himself with alot of time on his hands, and he meets the witty, beautiful blonde Kelly Corcoran (Cybill Shepherd) from a rich family in Minnesota. Lennie makes up excuses to spend more time with Kelly, and even decides to divorce Lila on his honeymoon to pursue Kelly, but has Lennie made the right choice. It's a very slight comedy of manners, Grodin is wonderful as always and you feel his plight, and it's a morality fable, about how we make big decisions in our life, and how we time them. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 302vz3r

The Heartbreak Kid (2007), after the 1972 film directed by Elaine May and written by Neil Simon, it was given a remake courtesy of the Farrelly Brothers, who are no strangers to romantic comedies, albiet not very tasteful ones, and this is no different to There's Something About Mary. It's got more belly laughs than the 1972 original, but isn't better. It begins in San Francisco, when 40 year old Eddie Cantrow, who hasn't married yet and hasn't been able to commit to a relationship, then he meets and falls for Lila (Malin Akerman). they marry and head off for their honeymoon in Mexico. On the way, Eddie gets to learn that Lila has alot of unusual habits, wanting violent and painful sexual positions in bed, and squirts fluids through her nose due to cocaine use, and then she ends up with an apocalyptic case of sunburn in Mexico. Eddie is on his own for most of the time while Lila recovers, he meets Miranda (Michelle Monaghan), and Eddie spends most of his honeymoon with Miranda, and wants to live with her, but how is he going to break the news to his already emotionally fragile new wife?? It has some brilliant moments of bad taste in it that we've come to expect from the Farrelly Brothers, this is much more of an uncomfortable comedy than the 1972 one, but this has the benefit of cameos from Jerry Stiller, Rob Corddry and Danny McBride. Not as bad as what the critics said, but could have been better, 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Heartbreak_kid_2007
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 pm

I.Q. (1994), written by Andy Breckman, (creator of Rat Race and Monk) and directed by Fred Schepisi (Roxanne (1987) and The Russia House (1990). This is a fantastical romantic comedy set in a bright sugar-coated picket-fence America, it's a friendly, dry, witty film, quite gentle and sweet film, it's not perfect, but it has an amazing cast. Set sometime in the 1950's, it has mechanic Ed Walters (Tim Robbins) falling for Princeton University student Catherine Boyd (Meg Ryan), even though she's engaged to stuffy English psychology professor James Moreland (Stephen Fry, his first American film). Yet, things take a twist when he discovers Catherine's uncle is non other than Albert Einstein (Walter Matthau). Despite being in the presence of a genius, Ed discovers that Einstein likes a bit of fun, and he hangs out with a group of funseeking geniuses, Nathan (Joseph Maher), Kurt (Lou Jacobi), and Boris (Gene Saks). They all think Catherine would be better suited with Ed, so they decide to try and pass him off as a genius. All goes well at first, but the course of true love doesn't run as smooth as planned. It's a very gentle romance, with some genuine laughs and good dialogue. Even though Einstein never had a niece like this and never rode a motorbike, it's enjoyable for an hour and half. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 IQposter

Splice (2009), Vincenzo Natali returns with his first film since the little seen Nothing (2003), with his biggest film to date. After getting it completed, it got the attention of Joel Silver and Warner Bros. who gave it a wide release. It's a very dark and weird sci-fi horror, kinda like the sort of film Cronenberg would have made in his heyday, but be prepared for stuff you'd never thought you'd see. It has scientists Clive Nicoli (Adrien Brody) and Elsa Kast (Sarah Polley) splicing animal genes all for medical science, but they're forbidden from using human DNA in their experiments. However, Elsa believes it's necessary, as it could help with a cure for human diseases, and does some secret experiments using human DNA, and creates a hybrid creature which they called Dren (Delphine Chanéac). They care for Dren and she grows and learns at a very quick rate, but Clive and Elsa's work at the science lab where they work begins to suffer. So, they move Dren to Elsa's mothers farm, but Dren begins to show very violent behaviour, and Clive and Elsa find themselves in danger of Dren. It's a very bloody and weird film, but it's good to see a film like this when many studios would shy away from stuff like this. I hope this puts Natali on the road to greater things, and he has a brilliant imagination and a confident visual eye. But, this will become a big cult hit in time. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Flyjbt
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 am

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium (1st view) - I wonder if Dustin Hoffman was in need of a quick paycheck? Not the greatest of films but i did find it oddly appealing, and Natalie Portman and Jason Bateman were both good - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Mr._Magorium

The Wackness (1st view) - A waste of time time. Kingsley was good but far too much time was spent on the relationship of the two irritating teen characters

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Wacknessposter

Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 pm

Bloodsport (1988), HIIIIIIII-YAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! From the infamous Cannon Films, comes a martial arts film that, that by all accounts, should be crap because Cannon did it. It has technical ineptitude on every level and alot of it is howlingly laughable, but against all the odds, it holds it's own and is likeable and watchable. It also catapulted a new action star to superstardom. It has U.S. Marine Frank W. Dux (Jean Claude Van Damme) going AWOL to compete in an illegal, secret martial arts tournament called the Kumite in Hong Kong, he was taught as a youth by neighbour Senzo Tanaka (Roy Chiao) and it's stayed with him. In Hong Kong, he goes to the tournament with American Ray Jackson (Donald Gibb) which is somewhere in a ladyrinth of back alleys in the slums of Hong Kong, and Dux impresses everyone there with what he knows, and learns he has to face reigning champion Chong Li (Bolo Yeung). Meanwhile, military police agents Helmer (Norman Burton) and Rawlins (Forest Whitaker) are after Dux for desertion, but he's determined to finish the tournament. Despite the film being based on a true story, there's nothing you can really take seriously, and some of Van Damme's expressions are absolutely hilarious. Plus the film suffers from bad dubbing and bad acting, but it gels and it's very entertaining. How did they do that!? Shocked 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Bloodsport

127 Hours (2010), How do you follow up Slumdog Millionaire?? Danny Boyle could have gone for big blockbusters. Instead, he went the other way, and went for a story that he's wanted to do since Millions (2004), but it took the Oscar success of his previous film to get it made. It's a vivid, claustrophobic drama about the will to live and survival, and Boyle tops Slumdog Millionaire with this. Based on a true story in April 2003, it has climber Aron Ralston (James Franco) going on a hiking trip in the rural, baron wilds of Utah. However, while out climbing in Blue John Canyon, an 800lb boulder fell, trapping his right forearm in the narrow canyon. He tries everything to get it free, but to no avail, with little food and water left plus he didn't tell anyone where he was going, and now open to the elements, he knows he'll die in a few days, all he can do in that time to think about his loved ones, especially two hikers Megan (Amber Tamblyn) and Kristi (Kate Mara) whom he'd met just before his accident, his ex-girlfriend Rana (Clémence Poésy) and his parents (Treat Williams and Kate Burton). But soon, Aron has to make a tough decision, which might be his only hope of survival. James Franco puts in a brilliant lead performance as Ralston, who tries to keep his cool in the face of adversity, but it's Boyle's directing and offbeat shooting and editing decisions that keep this film on it's toes. Boyle was the right man for this, and it'll be great to see where he goes off to next. Plus, Utah looks excellent. 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 127Hours_Quad
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Frantic (1988), after the disaster of Pirates (1986), Roman Polanski opted for something a little more commerical. So, he pitched this Hitchcockian thriller to Warner Bros. and despite Polanski's status as a fugitive, they bought it. It's suspenseful and taut, and has a good lead playing against type. The result is one of Polanski's best films. It has surgeon Dr. Richard Walker (Harrison Ford) visiting Paris for a medical conference with his wife Sondra (Betty Buckley). At their hotel, Sondra mysteriously disappears while Richard is taking a shower. He goes looking for her, but he's still suffering from jet-lag and is confused, he doesn't even speak French. Not even the French police or the US embassy are of any help. Sondra had ended up with the wrong case at the airport, and a number in the case leads Richard to streetwise femme fatale Michelle (Emmanuelle Seigner), who knows more than she's letting on, and she's the rightful owner of the suitcase Sondra thought was hers, but what's in the case that resulted in Sondra going missing?? And will Richard ever get his wife back?? It's a very intriguing film, something Hitchcock himself would be pround off, even though it does get a little bit too muddled at the end, it's still got the ability to keep you gripped. Oh, and look out for Jean-Pierre Jeunet regular Dominique Pinon as a Wino. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Frenetico

Kick-Ass (2010), based on Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr's 2008 comic book, Director Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake and Stardust) had no luck when trying to get money from the studios to fund this ultra-violent comic-book film, but he raised the money himself, meaning no interference, the result is the best comic book film in ages, and it's well made and very entertaining. It has geeky teen Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) having aspirations of becoming a superhero, he buys a scuba suit and becomes Kick-Ass, and sets up a MySpace page to get publicity. It works, but he finds himself getting involved with father and daughter vigilantes Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and Hit Girl (Chloe Moretz). Big Daddy has an agenda to take down crime kingpin Frank D'Amico (Mark Strong). D'Amico has seen his men being taken down by Big Daddy, but D'Amico's son Chris (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) becomes Red Mist to gain Kick-Ass' trust and get to Big Daddy and Hit Girl. It's so well made, and it has some brilliant performances, espcially Moretz as the foul-mouthed assassin Hit Girl, and Mark Strong, who gets better with each film he makes. Vaughn has created a brilliant world here with great action and good dialogue. More please!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Kick-ass-poster-300
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 am

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D (1st view) - The weakest of the three so far, and certainly not helped by the most annoying little gonk to grace a cinema screen since Jake Lloyd. Will Poulter has just two facial expressions and looks like he wandered onto the set from a Carry On film. Overall it's quite a slight tale with some excess padding, yet without the extra content it would have hardly been worthwhile to make at all. But still very enjoyable - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-The_voyage_of_the_dawn_treader_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

The Rocker (2008), directed by Peter Cattaneo, best known for The Full Monty (1997) and Lucky Break (2001), this is a likeable, funny comedy about the plight felt by so many band members the world over. The music throughout is very good too. It begins in Cleveland, Ohio in 1986, when glam metal band Vesuvius were hitting it big, however, when the band are offered a record deal, one condition is that they drop their drummer Robert 'Fish' Fishman (Rainn Wilson). 20 years later, and he's reduced to working in a cubicle job, and he's now living with his sister Lisa (Jane Lynch) and her husband Stan (Jeff Garlin). Their son Matt (Josh Gad) has his own aspiring garage band called A.D.D. with Curtis Powell (Teddy Geiger) and Amelia Stone (Emma Stone). They've just lost their drummer so Matt suggests they turn to Fish, who hasn't drummed in 20 years. But, he soon gets back into the swing of things, and helps the band on the road to success and get a record deal after an unfortunate YouTube video makes them a hit, and they get a record deal. Then they have to open for Vesuvius, Fish's old band. But can he forgive and forget?? It's a very likable yet silly comedy, Wilson is a likeable presense, but there's a sense that this feels like a cash in on School of Rock (2003), maybe it isn't. Oh, and look out for Pete Best, a drummer who was asked to leave a certain band... Razz 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Rockerposter

The Town (2010), the second film directed by Ben Affleck after Gone Baby Gone (2007), this is based on the book Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan. This is a suspensful crime thriller, with a brilliant ensemble cast, and shows Affleck with great confidence as a director. Set in the Boston suburb of Charlestown, four friends Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck), James "Jem" Coughlin (Jeremy Renner), Albert "Gloansy" Magloan (Slaine) and Desmond "Dez" Elden (Owen Burke) commit raids and robberies on banks and security trucks. On one raid, they take bank manager Claire Keesey (Rebecca Hall) hostage, shortly after her release, Doug begins a relationship with Claire, but continues to commit crime. However, the FBI are onto Doug's gang. led by agent Adam Frawley (Jon Hamm) and is looking to nail them. After a near miss on one job, where they were nearly caught by the police, Doug announced he wants out, and has aspiratons to move to Florida. However, he has one last big job to do, a raid on the counting room at the Boston Red Sox stadium, bit Frawley is onto Doug and his team big time, and Claire is yet to learn Doug's secret. It's very well made, with good performances all round, (yes even from Affleck, who'd have guessed!?) But, it's a good ensemble piece, rounded out with Chris Cooper and Pete Postlethwaite. Affleck could be onto a good directing career... 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 The_Town_Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm

The Ghost Writer (2010), Roman Polanski rides again, this time he takes on a very politically charged film, based upon the best selling book, The Ghost, by Robert Harris, (who wrote the screenplay with Polanski). Despite the baggage this film came with, it's actually a very good film, and one of Polanski's best to date with a gripping, engaging plot with an excellent cast to boot. This an unnamed ghostwriter (Ewan McGregor) being assigned to help with the memoirs of former British Prime Minister Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan). The ghostwriter is sent to Lang's seaside residence on the island of Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts. The ghostwriter begins going through Lang's memoirs, supervised by Lang's aide Amelia (Kim Cattrall), he discovers that the previous ghost writer may have died for discovering something about Lang's past. Meanwhile, Lang is accused of war crimes by the International Criminal Court, and the ghostwriter has an affair with Lang's wife Ruth (Olivia Williams), but the ghostwriter discovers more about Lang's past. It's a very good and very suspenseful thriller, with enough twists and turns to keep you gripped. McGregor is excellent and Brosnan apes Tony Blair to a tee, and the supporting cast including Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Hutton, Jim Belushi and Eli Wallach make this one of Polanski's best films in years. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Ghostwriterlarge

The Hangover (2009), from Todd Phillips, who raised the bar of bad taste with Road Trip (2000) and Old School, as well as remaking a 70's classic with Starsky & Hutch (2004), after remaking School for Scoundrels (2006), he turned his attention to a low-budget little comedy about a stag-party in Vegas, it would soon become a little film that could, and it is funny. It begins with Doug Billings (Justin Bartha) about to get married to Tracy Garner (Sasha Barrese), so Doug invites his friends Phil Wenneck (Bradley Cooper) and Stu Price (Ed Helms) to a stag night over in Las Vegas, also along for the ride is Tracy's savant brother Alan (Zach Galifianakis). However, the morning after, they all wake up to discover Doug is missing, there's a tiger in the bathroom which belongs to Mike Tyson, there's a baby in the room, and Stu has somehow got married to stripper Jade (Heather Graham), but they need to find Doug. It's a silly little farce. It takes it's time to get off the ground, but once it gets into gear, and we get into the morning after, it becomes very funny, with so many unexplainable situations that our heroes can't remember. It does decend into bad taste, but the dialogue is very funny, and the cast have a good camaraderie, (Galifianakis steals the film just about). It's very enjoyable and funny in all the right places. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969), written and directed by Paul Mazursky, best known for Harry and Tonto (1974), Moscow on the Hudson (1984) and Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986) is this dark satire on social and marital life in late 1960's America. It's humour comes out of the awkwardness of situations, but it's focus on the 4 main characters. The film begins with a weekend at a retreat center in the mountains of California, attending are Bob Sanders (Robert Culp) and his wife Carol (Natalie Wood) and their friends Ted Henderson (Elliott Gould) and his wife Alice (Dyan Cannon). The weekend promotes free love and how to be open and honest in a relationship. As a result, Bob and Carol reveal the relationships and affairs they've had, much to the indifference of Ted and Alice, but it does reveal a side of curiousity inside Ted and Alice, who are alot more conservative in their lifestyle, and wouldn't dream of doing things like that. But, it all leads to an awkward night in a Las Vegas suite, on suggestion of Bob and Carol. It was controversial for it's day, but not so cutting edge now. Out of the two couples, it's Gould and Cannon who come out best, bewildered by what's going on in their life. It's very slight, but Mazursky has done better films. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Bob_Carol_Ted_Alice

The Oxford Murders (2008), directed by Spanish director Álex de la Iglesia and based on the 2003 bestseller by Argentine mathematician and writer Guillermo Martínez, this is a thinking man's Da Vinci Code, but it does have an other-worldly view of Oxford, and not a vision of it you'd ever see in Inspector Morse. It's a little talky for it's own good though. Set in 1993, it has American student Martin (Elijah Wood) coming to study at the University of Oxford, hoping that renowned professor Arthur Seldom (John Hurt), will be his thesis supervisor. He tries to impress Arthur by disputing Wittgenstein's Tractatus, but Arthur argues back, humiliating Martin. As Martin prepares to leave, he discovers his landlady Mrs. Eagleton (Anna Massey) murdered. Although questioned, the police don't suspect Martin or Arthur, but the deaths occur again, one in a hospital where Martin's girlfriend Lorna (Leonor Watling) works and a triangle player at a concert. But, each death has a connection to mathematical, physical and philosophical concepts. Can they crack it before someone else dies?? It is very confusing, and it takes your attention to follow it, but it also requires an academic mind too, but who has that?? Poor Elijah Wood feels out of place in Oxford, leading John Hurt to carry the film, along with support from Burn Gorman, Alex Cox and Dominique Pinon. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 The_Oxford_Murders_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm

The Holiday (2006). from Nancy Meyers, best known for What Women Want (2000), Something's Gotta Give (2003) and It's Complicated (2009) comes this sugary, sweet romantic comedy, with a likeable ensemble. It does go on for a bit longer than it should though. It has 2 women with man troubles. In London, Daily Telegraph journalist Iris (Kate Winslet) learning that fellow journalist Jasper (Rufus Sewell), who she's loved for years, is getting engaged. Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, movie trailer editor Amanda (Cameron Diaz) has learnt her boyfriend Ethan (Edward Burns) has been cheating on her. Amanda needs to get away, and she finds Iris' house on a website, Iris proposes a swap for the Christmas holidays, Amanda agrees. She ends up at Iris' quaint country cottage in Surrey, while Iris ends up at Amanda's enormous mansion in LA. Despite the fact they want to stay off men, Amanda becomes romantically involved with Iris' brother Graham (Jude Law), while Iris falls for composer Miles (Jack Black), and becomes friends with elderly neighbour Arthur (Eli Wallach, who steals the entire film.) It has it's moments, and some good laughs along the way, but it does get a bit maukish and sentimental for it's own good, but alot of seasonal films are like that. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Theholidayposter

Smokey and the Bandit (1977), one of an eventual trilogy, and one of many films it's star Burt Reynolds would make with Hal Needham, (including Hooper (1978), The Cannonball Run (1981) and Stroker Ace (1983)). This became the second highest grossing film of 1977, behind some silly sci-fi saga, but this is better. It begins with Texas dealers Big Enos Burdette (Pat McCormick) and his son, Little Enos (Paul Williams), wanting someone to bring a big shipment of Coors beer all the way from Texas to their theme park in Georgia. They find legendary truck driver Bo "Bandit" Darville (Reynolds), who agrees to do it, he finds help with fellow trucker Cledus "Snowman" Snow (Jerry Reed) who will drive the truck, and Bandit will keep attention off the truck with a back Pontiac Trans Am. They travel to Texarkana, Texas where 400 cases of Coors is waiting, and they set off home. However, they run foul of the law, after Bandit picks up runaway bride Carrie (Sally Field), and they soon have Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleeson) on the Bandit's tail, as his son was to have married Cassie. But, with a fast car, the Bandit wants the shipment to get back to Georgia, and he won't give in. It's a very likeable film with some very funny moments, and even Reynolds is a likeable presence, (many people forget how big he was in the 1970's). There should be more car chase and race films like this now, this set the high water mark for them all. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Smokey_And_The_Bandit_Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Changeling (2008), from the great Clint Eastwood, and written by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski. This is a powerful and emotional period piece based on a true story which exposed one police force for being corrupt and inept, and also the capture of a psychopathic serial killer and above all, one mother's quest for the truth. It's a story only Eastwood could tell. In March 1928, single mother Christine Collins (Angelina Jolie) comes home to find her 9 year old son Walter (Gattlin Griffith) is missing. She calls it in to the Los Angeles Police Department, and a few months later, she gets a call to say Walter has been found, but the boy she's presented with is not Walter, no matter how many times the LAPD try to fob her off, she knows the boy is not Walter and has support from local pastor Gustav Briegleb (John Malkovich), her complaints become too much for police chief James E. Davis (Colm Feore) and Captain J. J. Jones (Jeffrey Donovan), who have her illegally sent to a psychopathic hospital. Meanwhile, 15-year-old Sanford Clark (Eddie Alderson) confesses to the abduction and murders of 20 boys in Wineville, Riverside County, California with his uncle Gordon Northcott (Jason Butler Harner) and identifies Walter as one of the boys abducted. Christine see's an opportunity to bring LAPD bang to rights there. It's an exhausting and exhaustive story, researched with almost meticulous detail, and it's one that holds your attention until the end. Jolie gives the performance of a lifetime as the mother who wants the truth, and the result is Eastwood's best film of the last decade. 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Changeling_poster

To Catch A Thief (1955), between Rear Window (1954) and The Trouble With Harry (1955), Hitchcock went on a little holiday to the French Rivera with this glossy, bubbly crime caper, based upon the 1952 bestseller by David F. Dodge. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but Hitchcock still has a few tricks up his sleeve with this one. It has jewels being stolen all over France, the main suspect is John Robie (Cary Grant), a once notorious jewel thief known as The Cat now living a quiet life in the South of France. The robberies bear his mark and trademarks, but Robie insists it's not him, as he gave that up years ago. He tries to find refuge from the police with his colleagues from his days in the French Resistance, but they don't believe him. His old flame Danielle (Brigitte Auber) wants to help him with a plan to catch the copycat cat burglar in the act. He makes an acquiantance with London insurer H. H. Hughson (John Williams) who tells them that American socialites Jessie Stevens (Jessie Royce Landis) and her daughter Francie (Grace Kelly) have jewels worth alot, so Robie keeps close with them, but then Francie works out who Robie really is, and when their jewels go missing, his suspect number one. It's not as suspenseful as other Hitchcock films of the time, and this one does have a cheeky sense of humour about it, (Hitchcock was always underrated for his handling of comedy.) But, Grant and Kelly play well off each other throughout. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Thiefp
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 am

Changeling Eastwood's best of the decade? Yep. I think I'd agree with that.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (1st view) - I know I probably shouldn't, but I did quite like this. I generally do like Adam Sandler films - 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 220px-Chuckandlarrymp
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Among Giants (1998), written by Simon Beaufoy, fresh at the time from the success of The Full Monty (1997), wrote this unusual romantic drama. Alot of baggage came with it, could it be another success?? Nope, it sank without trace, a great pity really, as it's a good film too. It has unemployed labourer and amateur climber Ray (Pete Postlethwaite) getting a job he can put his climbing abilities too. He's asked to paint 15 miles of pylons in the Peak District outside Sheffield. He assembles his team with Steve (James Thornton), Bob (Andy Serkis), Frank (Alan Williams), Weasel (Rob Jarvis) and Shovel (Lennie James). They have 3 months to do the job, along the way. they meet Australian backpacker Gerry (Rachel Griffiths), and she proves a dab hand at the job. Over time, she and Ray become romantically involved, and Ray proposes to Gerry which she accepts. However, the pace of the work takes it's toll on Ray and his workers, who are at each other's throats at times, and it affects his relationship with Gerry, who begins an affair with Steve, Ray's climbing partner. It's very unconventional, but it does showcase the great Postlethwaite in a romantic lead, and you get to see a young Andy Serkis line dancing. Beaufoy had better luck a decade later with Slumdog Millionaire. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 28art42

Le dîner de cons (1998), written and directed by Francis Veber, best known for writting the La Cage aux Folles films, comes this amusing French comedy, based on a successful play Veber wrote. It's a comedy of manners, and with some good belly laughs. It has publisher Pierre Brochant (Thierry Lhermitte), who with his friends hosts dinner parties known as "idiots' dinner". Each member has to invite an idiot as his guest, whoever brings the biggest idiot wins. Pierre finds one on a train with François Pignon (Jacques Villeret), a bumbling finance Ministry accountant. Pierre invites François to dinner, but Pierre ends up hurting his back during a game of golf. François turns up at Pierre's apartment, and ends up making his back injury worse, and in the great tradition of farce and misunderstanding. Pierre's wife Christine (Alexandra Vandernoot), leaves in protest over these dinner parties, and François accidentally reveals to Christine that Pierre has a mistress called Marlène (Catherine Frot), and everytime François tries to make things better, it just gets worse. Its a film which requires your attention, and it's roots in stage show. But, it has good dialogue and good comedic situtations. It was later remade as Dinner With Schmucks (2010). 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Le_d%C3%AEner_de_cons_(Poster)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I've Just Watched: Part 2
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next