Pages Of Power 4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Worst Film Of...
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm by Jinks

» Rate the last film the above user watched.
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 pm by Jinks

» Getting to know you
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm by Jinks

» This or That
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm by Jinks

» Favourite Song Of
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same TV Show/actor/director: Part 2
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm by Donald McKinney

» Same Movie & Actor/Director: Part IV - The Final Chapter
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» The Pointless Movie Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm by Donald McKinney

» Four Letter Word Game
What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm by Donald McKinney

What I've Just Watched: Part 2

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:51 am

Micmacs (1st view) - Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of Amelie and Delicatessen returns after 5 years with this charming comedy. Dany Boon as Bazil, a man who was recently shot in the head and was orphaned as a boy when his father was killed by a landmine. After being made homeless he finds refuge with a band of misfits, and sets about exacting revenge on the two CEO's of the companies that produced the weapons that changed his life. It might not sound like the best plot for a comedy, but it works. Frequently hilarious, some brilliant characters and and the look and style of the film is gorgeous - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Micmacs_%C3%A0_tire-larigot

Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 am

27 Dresses (1st view) - As modern romcoms go, this wasn;'t so bad - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Twenty_seven_dresses

Cop Out (1st view) - I generally don't like Kevin Smith, but this was worse than thought possible - 2/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Copoutposter
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Yes Man (2008), based upon Danny Wallace's hilarious memoir, this American film version keeps the basic theme of a man who has to say 'Yes' to everything, but sadly little else, but it's fun while it lasts. It has bank loans clerk Carl Allen (Jim Carrey), who is disillusioned with his life after a divorce, and is reluctant to take risks in his life. Then, he finds himself in a 'Yes' seminar hosted by guru Terrence Bundley (Terence Stamp), and he starts saying 'Yes' to alot more things in his life. He takes up bungee jumping, he takes Korean, he takes flying lessons, he takes guitar lessons plus he makes a relationship with singer/photographer Allison (Zooey Deschanel), but can saying Yes to absolutely everything be his undoing as well. This could have been another High Fidelity, (another popular British book translated to America), it would have been nice to have seen some of Wallace's adventures translated to the big screen, and it does feel half-hearted in places. But, it is one of Jim Carrey's funniest films in a long time after a couple of clunkers which could have killed his career, this is just what he needed to get back on track. But, the film is nearly stolen by The Flight of the Conchords' Rhys Darby playing Carrey's boss Norman. Razz 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 YesMan2008poster

The Dirty Dozen (1967), directed by Robert Aldrich, this is one of the most iconic war films of the 1960's, and with a brilliant ensemble cast to boot. This film set the high-water mark for men-on-a-mission war films for years to come. It begins in England in 1944, where Major John Reisman (Lee Marvin) is given an unusual task by Major General Worden (Ernest Borgnine), to recruit American criminals and whip them into shape for combat. Reisman finds his team with 12 men. They are Joseph Wladislaw (Charles Bronson), Robert Jefferson (Jim Brown), Victor Franko (John Cassavetes), Pedro Jiminez (Trini López), Archer J. Maggott (Telly Savalas), Vernon Pinkley (Donald Sutherland), Samson Posey (Clint Walker), Milo Vladek (Tom Busby), Glenn Gilpin (Ben Carruthers), Roscoe Lever (Stuart Cooper), Tassos Bravos (Al Mancini) and Seth Sawyer (Colin Maitland). After weeks of training, and being dubbed The Dirty Dozen, after their refusal to shave or wash in cold water, they are assigned on a life or death mission, to capture a château near Rennes, France, used for senior Nazi officers. Can they succeed?? It's a suspenseful and exciting war adventure, the final raid is gripping. The cast are brilliant, and play off each other brilliantly. You can see where QT ripped it off for Inglourious Basterds. Razz 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Dirty_moviep
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 am

The Secret Of Kells (1s view) - Fantastic animated fantasy film set in ninth century Ireland. An Abbot is obsessed about building a huge wall around his Abbey in order to keep Viking invaders away, but his nephew is in awe of the mysterious forest that lies beyond the abbey. Some stunning animation and great imagination. Excellent - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-The_Secret_Of_Kells_Promo_Poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2010), based upon Jeff Kinney's 2007 children's book which has since become a successful book series, this is the film based on the first one, brought to the screen by Thor Freudenthal, who did Hotel for Dogs (2009). It's not as bad as it looks or sounds, and it comes across as a preteen version of Napoleon Dynamite. It has 11-year-old Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) starring middle school, (between elementary and high schools in America), he's told stories about how it's horrific by his older brother Rodrick (Devon Bostick). But, Greg and his best friend Rowley Jefferson (Robert Capron), who is reliable, but always manages to be embarrasing at the worst possible moments. The film tells how Greg survives one year in middle school, trying to fit in class and taking activities to be popular, from wrestling to doing Safety Patrol. Greg's friendship with Rowley is put to the test when Greg's attempts to make him less dorky doesn't go to plan, and Rowley ends up more popular. This is an amusing little sleeper hit, but it highlights the one thing we've all been through at one point in our lives, fitting in at school, some can do it easier than others. But, it's young cast do well, and with support from Steve Zahn and Chloë Moretz. 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Diary_if_a_Wimpy_Kid_movie_poster

Witchfinder General (1968), one of the most controversial British films of the 1960's, and one of the darkest too. This is an uncomfortably unnerving, atmospheric film, inspired by a real Witchfinder General. It's played absolutely straight too, no silly camp overtones like a Hammer Horror, it's lead absolutely steals the film as well. Set in 17th Century England, which is separated by the English Civil War. Matthew Hopkins (Vincent Price), is an English lawyer and supposed witchhunter, who uses the troubles of the Civil War to go around, seeking out allegations of witchcraft and sorcery in towns in the East Anglia area, getting false confessions out of suspected witches, murdering these poor souls and charging the local magistrates for his service. Richard Marshall (Ian Ogilvy), is a Roundhead Soldier fighting for Cromwell, and wishes to marry his lover Sara (Hilary Dwyer). However, Hopkins comes to the village, and Sara offers sexual favours if Hopkins spares the life of her Uncle John Lowes (Rupert Davies), who has been accused of sorcery, even when Sara tries to escape, Hopkins follows her, and Marshall looks to kill Hopkins. It's very dark and brooding, but this is one of Price's best films, (even if he does have a very silly wig), but you can't believe this sort of thing actually went on back then, which is what makes it all the more frightening. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Witchfinder_general_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am

Due Date (2010), from director Todd Phillips, who gave us such cinematic delights as Road Trip (2000), Starsky & Hutch (2004) and The Hangover (2009), comes this amusing and delightfully bad taste road trip movie. Critics have got the wrong end of the stick over this film, it's actually very funny and it's two leads make a good pairing. It begins in Atlanta, Georgia, where architect Peter Highman (Robert Downey, Jr.) is trying to get home to Los Angeles in time for his wife Sarah (Michelle Monaghan) giving birth to their first child. However, due to a series of unfortunate circumstances, Peter can't catch a plane, after a run in with eccentric wannabe actor Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis). However, Peter ends up going across country with Ethan, but they only have 3 days to get from Atlanta to Los Angeles. Should be a doddle, but it isn't. Peter left his wallet on a plane heading for LA, and he and Ethan only have $60 between them. Plus, Ethan manages to get on Peter's nerves for most of the trip. What do critics have against this film?? They all seem to be comparing it to Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987). Yes, this is partially inspired by that, but it is still very funny. Downey plays the straight man well, while Galifianakis absolutely steals the film. Plus, there's good support from Danny McBride, RZA, Juliette Lewis and Jamie Foxx. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Due_date

Jackass 3D (2010), well, it had to happen. Johnny Knoxville and his buddies are back with another hilariously nihilistic film. It's been 10 years since the show started on MTV, and to celebrate, the Jackass team have gone one dimension further, going into 3D, and doing the sort of things with a 3D camera James Cameron certainly wouldn't have done. Razz The film follows the same routine that the TV series, Jackass: The Movie (2002) and Jackass Number Two (2006). Showing Knoxville and his team, Bam Margera, Steve-O, Chris Pontius, Preston Lacy, Danger Ehren, Ryan Dunn, Dave England and Wee Man get into all kinds of dangerous stunts and pranks. Oh, and don't try any of them at home, for obvious reasons. The stunts include a portable toilet being bungeed into the air with Steve-O and tons of shit inside it, chest waxing using super glue, a prison escape using cattle prods and tasers, tether ball using a ball filled with African bees, and an unorthodox way of pulling a tooth using a high speed Lamborghini. It is very funny, and it does tend to bring out a nihilistic side in it's viewer, it looks as if they set out for this one to be the last time, and the 3D is very effective indeed, you wouldn't have thought it would work, but it adds depth to the stunts, and gives them a sense of beauty. I never thought I'd say that. Razz 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Jackass-3d-poster-3_374x579
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 4:18 am

Chloe (1st view) - Decent thriller - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Chloe_US_poster

The Last Templar (1st view) - Tv movie based on the book. It's hilarious. Unintentionally I'm sure, but still hilarious - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 51fFRouwIYL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Eraser (1996), directed by Chuck Russell. who did A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) and The Mask (1994), this is a by-the-numbers Arnold Schwarzenegger action film, with all the usual boxes ticked but the action is good, but this is as close Arnie will be getting to True Lies 2 for a while. This has U.S. Marshal John Kruger (Arnie) who works for the Federal Witness Security Protection Program, and is one of the best in the team, working with his mentor and partner Robert Deguerin (James Caan). John is assigned to protect scientist Dr. Lee Cullen (Vanessa L. Williams), who works for weapons manufacturer Cyrez Corporation. She has learnt that the company is selling high pulse rifles to Russian arms dealers, and her life is in danger, John comes to protect her, but he ends up being double crossed by Robert, who tries to frame John as a mole in the company, being involved in the death of people in witness protection, but John and Lee plan to break into the Cyrez Corporation to clear their name. It's a very silly action film, with some impossible buts of action that would kill real people, but that Arnie can get out of no problem. The CGI and blue-screen is a bit dodgy, but that adds to it's charm. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Eraser-arnold-schwarzenegger-vanessa-williams-3700089

Tess (1979), from Roman Polanski, made shortly after his scandal, he decided to adapt Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. All done in France, as he couldn't set foot in the UK, but it works and it has an engaging cast and beautifully shot, with a good lead performance too. It makes for a good classical adaptation. Set in Dorset in the late 19th Century, it has simple farmer John Durbeyfield (John Collin) discovering he is decended from a wealthy family called d'Urberville. He sends his oldest daughter Tess (Nastassja Kinski) out to offer her services to the d'Urberville family, who accept her, and her cousin Alec Stokes-d'Urberville (Leigh Lawson) falls for her and seduces her, but it turns out they bought the title of d'Urberville. So, Tess leaves, and works on a dairy farm, and falls for young farmer Angel Clare (Peter Firth), they marry, but Tess confesses to her encounter with Alec, Angel leaves Tess, and the past comes back to haunt Tess, after a chance encounter with Alec again, who tries to seduce her once again. It's a gloriously romantic film, and it's running time flies by. Polanski recreates a world long forgotten, and the Oscar-winning cinematography by Ghislain Cloquet and Geoffrey Unsworth is just beautiful, and Kinski's Tess is a damaged girl, and one you feel sorry for. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Tess-1979-poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:15 pm

The Goonies (1985), directed by Richard Donner and produced and created by Steven Spielberg, this is a fun rollicking children's adventure from the Golden Age of Kid's films. It's got all the things you'd expect from a children's film, real scares, emotion and very likeable characters too. It has a group of kids living in Astoria, Oregon, they are Mikey (Sean Astin), Mouth (Corey Feldman), Chunk (Jeff Cohen), Data (Ke Huy Quan), Mikey's older brother Brandon (Josh Brolin), Andy (Kerri Green) and Stef (Martha Plimpton), who face moving away as the nearby country club is expanding, but as one last adventure together, they learn of an old treasure map found in the attic of Mikey and Brandon's home, the map leads them to the location of a hoard of treasure found by a pirate named One-Eyed Willie. But, they have a run in with some local criminals, Ma Fratelli (Anne Ramsey) and her sons Jake (Robert Davi) and Francis (Joe Pantoliano), and a deformed son called Sloth (John Matuszak). Now, our heroes have the Fratelli's on their tail, looking for the treasure. It's a brilliant piece of family entertainment, all the cast are very likeable and enjoyable, and there's a great deal of imagination on display in this film, and no matter how old you are, this'll make you feel like a kid again. Truffle Shuffle!! Very Happy 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 The_Goonies

Eat The Rich (1987), from Comic Strip co-creator Peter Richardson and his co-writer Pete Richens, this is a black comedy on celebrity life and the British government of the 1980's. Made during the 3rd Series of the Comic Strip, it's actually a very good film, and should have made them famous, but it flopped, which is a shame, as it's still relevent now. It has waiter Alex (Alan Pellay) getting sacked from his job after being pushed around by the upper classes, now homeless, he witnesses a terrorist attack on an embassy, so does a raid on a dole office and goes on the lam with Ron (Ron Tarr). Meanwhile, Home Secretary Nosher Powell (Nosher Powell as himself), is a lager lout who has a no-nonsense way of dealing with trouble, however Commander Fortune (Ronald Allen) and Spider (Lemmy) want to derail Nosher's campaign of becoming Prime Minister, they find a brilliant idea of bringing him down when Alex and Ron open a restaurant called Eat The Rich, that's serving up some very "rich" food, minced up in the kitchen. It's a very good satire on class and celebrity, with the Comic Strip team, including Ade Edmondson, Rik Mayall, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Nigel Planer and Robbie Coltrane making cameos, and so does Paul McCartney, Jools Holland and Bill Wyman. One in need of a rediscovery, good soundtrack by Motörhead though. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Eat_The_Rich_%28movie%29
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 am

Whip It (1st view) - Really only worth watching for Ellen Page, certainly better in this than Juno, Smar People, X3 and , probably, Inception. Marcia Gay Harden is good as well but it's the kind of role she could probably do in her sleep. No-one else registers, and Barrymore seems to have forgotten everything she ever knew about acting (which, depending on your view, may not have been a great deal anyway) as she's terrible in this - 3/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Whip_it
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 am

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010), and so it's come to this, the final story of J.K. Rowling's boy wizard, told over two parts. Which gives the story room to breathe, unlike the previous films, which have rushed along at breakneck speed, leaving out the best parts of the book. This one takes it's time, maybe a bit TOO much time. This picks up after Half-Blood Prince left off, Professor Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) is dead, and our heroes Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) end up on the run from Deatheaters, and in fear for their lives, after an ambush. They go on a quest looking for a Horcrux, (a dark magic object), that has to be destroyed, it's in the possession of Dolores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton), after retrieving it, they go on the run looking for Godric Gryffindor's sword which can destroy it. But, one symbol follows them on their quest, The Deathly Hallows, three magical objects that Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes) is looking for. It's quite difficult to explain the plot, and it does go along quite slowly, with nearly all of the focus on our 3 heroes. But, they are able to hold the screen time well, with the usual ensemble from the past 6 films making welcome appearances, with appearances from Bill Nighy, Peter Mullan and Rhys Ifans. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 HP7-poster-1

CQ (2001), written and directed by Roman Coppola, son of Francis Ford and sister of Sofia. This is a loving homage to European filmmaking of the 1960's and also films like Barbarella (1968). It's cool and chic without being pretentious, and this is one that's slipped through the cracks and people ignored upon release. Paris, 1969, and American film editor Paul Ballard (Jeremy Davies) is working on a sci-fi adventure film called Dragonfly, written and directed by the renowned Andrezej (Gérard Depardieu). The film stars newcomer American actress Valentine (Angela Lindvall) as spy Dragonfly, who lives in a spaceship on top of the Eiffel Tower in the year 2001. Razz However, Andrezej is sacked by the film's producer Enzo (Giancarlo Giannini), after an engagement with replacement director Felix DeMarco (Jason Schwartzman) doesn't go to plan, Enzo settles on Paul to direct the film, impressed by his second unit work. As Paul sets to work, he falls for the films star and becomes obsessed with her on-screen persona, even though he has a girlfriend with Air France flight attendant Marlene (Elodie Bouchez), he has a difficult decision to make. It's a very good film, harking back to an interesting period in cinema, when all sorts of arty films were being made. Coppola does well here with his debut, and the cast is rounded out by Dean Stockwell and Billy Zane and a superb score by French band Mellow, (worth watching the film for), this is a personal film, but quite amusing and well made. 4.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Cqposter
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Tango & Cash (1989), from the golden age of Hollywood action films, comes this very cheesy effort. It's not very well written, it's very stupid and silly, and all the plot is absolute rubbish. That's what the film should be, but it isn't, against all the odds, it's a great piece of action cinema. It's hokey fun, a product of it's time, and proud of it. It's a tale of two cops who work for the LAPD, Ray Tango (Sylvester Stallone) who dresses like a banker, and then there's Gabriel Cash (Kurt Russell), who is scruffy, has a mullet and has custom made gadgets. These two are rivals, but they end up having to work together when drugs kingpin Yves Perret (Jack Palance) frames them for murder, and they get sent to jail. Determined to prove their innocence, they escape from prison despite Perret having control over the prison, and having them tortured and set up again and again. But Tango & Cash won't give up, and they get help from Tango's sister Kiki (Teri Hatcher), these maverick detectives are gonna bust this thing wide open. Despite it's documented problems, it's a good piece of action cinema, when it really shouldn't be. Sly and Kurt make a good pairing too, and it has a good score by Harold Faltermeyer. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Tango_and_cash

The Supergrass (1985), The Comic Strip team hit the big screen, with their series on Channel 4 being a huge success, this was one of the best Comic Strip films of the lot, with Peter Richardson giving it a good scope with it's small budget, this had a simulataneous release in cinemas and on Channel 4's Film on Four slot. This has Ade Edmondson as Dennis Carter, a complete moron who boasts to his girlfriend Andrea (Dawn French) about a drugs smuggling ring in a lovely seaside town in the West Country where he's just been. Then gets in trouble with the police who overheard him boasting about it, and along with Sgt. Harvey Duncan (Richardson) and WPC Lesley Reynolds (Jennifer Saunders) finds himself back at the seaside, trying to prove there are drugs being smuggled, which by coincidence, there is!! Dennis keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into One of the best British films of the 1980's, with a brilliant supporting cast including Nigel Planer, Ronald Allen, Alexei Sayle and Keith Allen, (Rik Mayall is sadly missed). And for reference, this is the film where Robbie Coltrane walks along the jetty, getting splashed by waves to the tune of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes. Maybe one of the best scenes of 1980's cinema. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 4gqdrl
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 am

Murder Most Foul (1964), the third in a series of four Miss Marple films produced by MGM during the 1960's, in which the inimitable Margaret Rutherford played Agatha Christie's legendary super sleuth. The films had alot of emphasis on comedy, but this one benefits from having a very good supporting cast. Loosely based on Christie's story 'Mrs. McGinty's Dead', this has Marple joining a local theatrical troupe, as she investigates the murder of a barmaid who had links with the troupe, led by the hammy H. Driffold Cosgood (a wonderful Ron Moody). But, as Marple makes her investigations during the rehearsals of Cosgood's new play, the body count goes up... Rutherford made a wonderful Miss Marple, playing it with humour, intelligence and confidence. The original story by Christie was actually a Poriot story, but it was changed for the screen for it to suit Marple for reasons unknown. But, it doesn't matter. It makes for a very good film, and Rutherford is complimented by a very good supporting cast which also includes Charles 'Bud' Tingwell as Inspector Craddock, James Bolam as angry-young-man Bill Hanson and the great Terry Scott as Police Constable Wells. Razz 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 8yz8ub

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005), whilst filming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Tim Burton was simultaneously working on a stop motion fantasy, based on a piece of old Russian folklore. It makes for great viewing, and stop-motion brings out the best of Burton's imagination. This has Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) set to marry Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson), Victors parents (Paul Whitehouse and Tracey Ullman) are rich merchants, whereas Victoria's parents (Albert Finney and Joanna Lumley) are bankrupt aristocrats. However, the marriage has been arranged by both families. Victor isn't sure about it, and can't even crack a wedding rehearsal. While practicing his vows, he places a ring on what seems like a tree branch, but it's actually the finger of a deceased bride called Emily (Helena Bonham Carter), who comes back to life, and takes Victor to the Land of the Dead, which is alot more colourful and upbeat than the Land of the Living. Meanwhile, with Victor gone missing, Victoria is wooed by the mysterious Lord Barkis Bittern (Richard E. Grant). It's not a horror film as the title makes it sound, it's actually a very sweet and innocent love story, very touch and with some brilliant moments of imagination on display. Burton should be doing more animations like this, and the vocal cast is good too, rounded out by Christopher Lee, Deep Roy. Jane Horrocks and Michael Gough. 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Corpse-bride-poster-corpse-bride-5984650-350-499
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 am

I love The Corpse Bride. Vastly underrated.
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 pm

So do I Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 7:06 am

Black Death (1st view) - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Black_death_poster

The Darjeeling Limited (1st view) - Not as good as The Royal Tenenbaums or the Life Aquatic but a leisurely and interesting film. Made better when coupled with the short film Hotel Chevalier - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Darjeeling_Limited_Poster

Skyline (1st view) - Part Independence Day, part War Of The Worlds, part Cloverfield and probably many more I can't remember. Hardly original with some horrible performances but enjoyable - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Skyline_Poster

Away We Go (1st view) - Nice and sweet - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Away_we_go_poster
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Payback (1999), the directorial debut of acclaimed writer Brian Helgeland, who had started out working for Richard Donner with Assassins (1995) and Conspiracy Theory (1997). This was based upon The Hunter by Donald E. Westlake, which had been previously adapted as Point Blank (1967), this film tries to be closer in tone and structure to films of that period. Sadly, studio interference softened it all, even if Helgeland got a Director's Cut the way he wanted, but it was quite a departure for it's star. Mel Gibson is Porter, a small time crook who is betrayed by his wife Lynn (Deborah Kara Unger) and his partner in crime Val (Gregg Henry), after a heist job. Left for dead, Porter plots his revenge, wanting his money back. With help from Arthur Stegman (David Paymer), Porter goes after his partner, and also becomes involved with a crime syndicate called the Outfit. Porter has to inflitrate this organisation to seek vengeance, facing up to the bosses, Carter (William Devane), Fairfax (James Coburn) and Bronson (Sally Kellerman). It's a violent, brutal film which doesn't let up until the end. It shows a more brutal side to Mad Mel, showing there was alot more to him than just Lethal Weapon. It has a brilliant cast, it has a wickedly dark sense of humour, and it's great entertainment. The Director's Cut is a different breed of film, darker, shorter, tighter and moodier, and it still works. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 PaybackPoster

Made in Dagenham (2010), a comedy-drama from director Nigel Cole, who has credits like Saving Grace (2000) and Calendar Girls (2003) to his name, and produced by Stephen Woolley and the BBC. This is a good little British film, unfussy and nostalgic of a simpler time, and how women CAN make a difference. Set in 1968, it follows the events of the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike at the Ford Dagenham assembly plant, all women led by machinist Rita O'Grady (Sally Hawkins), who is not much of a speaker anyways, but is led on by floor manager Albert (Bob Hoskins). With the girls on strike, there's no material being made for car seats, and that leads to a whole shutdown of the factory. Ford's representative from America Robert Tooley (Richard Schiff) wants an end brought to the strike, while there's skulduggery going on with Ford's Union Representative Monty Taylor (Kenneth Cranham). Then it goes all the way to the top, and the strike catches the attention of the then Secretary of State Barbara Castle (Miranda Richardson), who feels their cause and wants a good resolution. It's a good ensemble piece with some good performances, including John Sessions, Rosamund Pike and Roger Lloyd-Pack. But, it does veer between comedy and drama a bit too vigorously for it's own good. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Made_in_dagenham_poster
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 2:46 am

The X-Files (4th view) - Excellent conspiracy-heavy feature film with Mulder and Scully. Some great set-pieces, headache-inducing plotting, lots of bees and that scene in the hallway! Great to see it again along with the show - 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-XFilesMoviePoster

Invictus (1st view) - Not as good as other Eastwood films in recent years but it has that feel to it that shows you're in the hands of a skilled film-maker. Freeman and Damon are both very good - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-HumanFactorInvictus

Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:21 pm

The Shootist (1976), John Wayne's final film, and a fitting end to his long career too. Directed by the great Don Siegel, who has made great films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) and Dirty Harry (1971). This is a touching and gentle western without being overly sentimental, but with a good all-star cast. It begins in Carson City, Nevada on January 22, 1901, where legendary gunfighter John Bernard Books (Wayne) comes into town to see old friend Dr. E.W. Hostetler (James Stewart), with a medical ailment. Hostetler dianoses Books with cancer, and less than 6 weeks left to live. Books accepts his fate, and checks into a nearby boarding house owned by Bond Rogers (Lauren Bacall) and her son Gillom (Ron Howard). However, Gillom and currier Moses Brown (Scatman Crothers) suss out that the new lodger is Books, and he gets attention from bandits trying to kill him and achieve the fame for it. However, Books wants to go out on a high, like in his glory days, not in pain and under the haze of prescribed medication. It's a very good character piece, made more poignant that Wayne succumbed to cancer 3 years later. The final showdown makes this the Gran Torino of it's day, but less adult. 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Shootist_movie_poster

Help! (1965), And NOW For Something Completely Different!! The Beatles follow up A Hard Days Night (1964) with a hilarious, zany, surreal and ABSOLUTELY BONKERS comedy caper musical!! It's a much better film, and they show greater confidence with their acting. Richard Lester also returned, and he stages some brilliant set pieces with this film, plus the songs were top-notch too. It has an Eastern cult led by Clang (Leo McKern) chasing Ringo as he has a sacred ring of theirs, and it takes the Fab Four to Austria, Salisbury Plain, Buckingham Palace and the Bahamas. They're chased by the religious nuts, and two mad, bumbling scientists (Victor Spinetti and Roy Kinnear), but Klang's assistant Ahme (Eleanor Bron), seeks to protect the Fab Four. Director Lester is at the peak of his powers here, (it's colour is lovely, as is the camerawork), there's no real plot so to speak, but the zany humour more than makes up for that!! The dialogue is surrealist yet exquisite, ("Hold! Release him or I shoot, and I am a dead-eye shot, shooting!" or "This is no time for foolish tricks, this is a hired-car!"), but and the music and humour make up for any sense... Razz 5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Helponesheet
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 am

Monsters (1st view) - Not quite so brilliant as I'd been led to believe. The improvised nature of the dialogue if often obvious, and it was particularly difficult to care for male lead. It would have worked better in many ways without the backstories for the characters, cliched as they were. The same sense of danger and empathy would have been felt. But it does work very well as a road/monster/apocalypse/romance film, with many great sequences - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-MonstersUK

Deck The Halls (1st view) - Could have been a lot better. It wasn't great, but in the spirit of Christmas, I'll give it 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Movieposterdeckthehalls

Fred Claus (1st view) - Paul Giamatti! steve Rachel Weisz! steve Miranda Richardson! steve Kevin Spacey! steve Elizabeth Banks! steve How do you mess up a film with this cast? Stick Vince Vaughn in there! Like above, 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Fred_clausposter
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:52 am

Tron (1982), at the time, this was one of the most groundbreaking films of all time. The pet project of animator Steven Lisberger, who had done the Animalympics cartoon. However, this was something entirely different, and despite audiences being indifferent to it at the time, it's now a retro look at how computers were back then. It has computer genius Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) planning to get back into the company that shut him out, ENCOM. He had written computer game programmes for the company, but the ideas were stolen by co-worker Ed Dillinger (David Warner). Flynn breaks into the company with Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner) and Dr. Lora Baines (Cindy Morgan) to find the evidence that'll prove Flynn is the rightful author of the games. However, he is zapped into the computer world as a Program. There, Flynn as Clu, find the programs of Bradley and Baines with Tron and Yori respectively. They make their way to the Master Control Program, being controlled by Dillinger and his program Sark. Within the Master Control Program is the evidence they need. The plot is slightly convulated, but the computer animation, for it's day, is stunning. It's still impressive now, it'll be interesting to see where Tron: Legacy (2010) goes 28 years later. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Tron-1982-poster

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965), based upon the 1963 book by John le Carré, this is a bleak, stark spy drama. Far removed from the colourful travelogues of the James Bond films, and even more far removed from the Harry Palmer films, which were supposed to be a real antidote to the Bond films, this is more like a kitchen sink drama that happens to be a spy film. Alec Leamas (Richard Burton) works in West Berlin, but his job hasn't been going well, one of his operatives in East Berlin has been killed, so Leamas is recalled to London. His boss at Control (Cyril Cusack) lets Leamas go, who gets a job in a military library and turns to the bottle. However, it's all a carefully orchestrated plan to smoke out two East German agents Hans-Dieter Mundt (Peter van Eyck) and Herr Fiedler (Oskar Werner), and the transformation of Leamas is supposed to make him an ideal candidate in the eyes of the East German's as a potential defector. However, Leamas is in a relationship with librarian Nan Perry (Claire Bloom) which could be his downfall. Shot in a bleak, cold black and white by Oswald Morris, Martin Ritt's spy drama is a cold, brooding affair with a powerful lead performance, it's a different kind of spy film, not one you'd get away with now sadly. 3.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Spy_cold
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 6:48 am

Tokyo Godfathers (1st view) - Japanese animation about three homeless people who find an abandoned baby on Christmas Eve and set about trying to find the parents. Not as sentimental as such a plot could have been, it's funny, exciting and charming with some lovely animation - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Tokyo_Godfathers_%28Movie_Poster%29

A Single Man (1st view) - I'll admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have when I saw this, so maybe that's why the film overall didn't impress me so greatly. But Colin Firth was excellent, and made the whole thing well worth watching - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-A_Single_Man

Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Henry V (1989), the directorial debut of theatre actor/director Kenneth Branagh, and the first a few good William Shakespeare adaptations he's made in the past 20-odd years. He got off to a cracking start with this adaptation of Shakespeare's 1599 play. It's a great piece of history, depicting one of the English Army's greatest triumphs over the French. It is a depiction at one important moment in the life of King Henry the Fifth of England (Branagh), where he was publicly insulted by King Charles VI of France (Paul Scofield). As a result, King Henry decides to lead his men into war with France, in retaliation over this insult. But, morale amongst the troops is low, and they don't have a very high opinion of the young king, but Henry is determined to prove himself worthy, and that their cause is not a folly. This cumilates in the bloody Battle of Agincourt, where the English troops are outnumbered by the French, which takes place on 25 October 1415, St. Crispin's Day. It would be one of our greatest hours, even with being outnumbered. This is a gritty and realistic Shakespeare adaptation, miles away from any other adaptation. Branagh's direction is epic but focused, and he has an amazing cast working with him too featuring Ian Holm, Robbie Coltrane, Derek Jacobi, Judi Dench, Richard Briers, Christian Bale, Emma Thompson and Brian Blessed!! Very Happy 4/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Henry%2BV%2BPoster

September (1987), after Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) and Radio Days (1987), Woody Allen opted to do something completely different. A "play on film", a "chamber piece". It would have only 6 main characters and all set in one location. It should have been a doddle to make, but the production took nearly a year. The strains show in the film. It's set in a country house in Vermont, it has Lane (Mia Farrow) staying there after a failed suicide attempt, also staying at the house are her best friend Stephanie (Dianne Wiest), Lane's bloshy mother Diane (Elaine Stritch) and physicist husband (Jack Warden). Lane is also friends with two neighbours who live nearby, aspiring writer Peter (Sam Waterston) and widowed French teacher Howard (Denholm Elliot). Set over the course of a few days, many secrets and feelings between the characters come out, and a few home truths come out too. This is Woody Allen in Ingmar Bergman mode, a bleak drama despite the house being lit in a warm, golden glow. It really catches you off guard. Woody shot the whole film twice, after being unhappy with the first pass, he wanted to shoot it a third time, but Orion Pictures said no. The film doesn't really go anywhere, and has prestige picture written all over it, despite good intentions and performances. 2.5/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Septemberpost
Back to top Go down
Gimli The Avenger
Admin
Admin
Gimli The Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:02 am

Inception (2nd view) - No9t quite as good as it seemed first time round. It really is very hard to care about the entire Mal storyline, and as such it's hard to care about much of what happens to Cobb. But the mechanics and science of the dreams are brilliantly intriguing, even if some concepts are woefully underused or confusing. Hardy and Gordon-Levitt are the standouts of the cast - 4/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Inception_ver3

Open Season (1st view) - Only worth watching for Gary Sinise as the mad hunter. At least he tries with his vocals. Seriously, who thought that Martin Lawrence and Ashton Kutcher would be ideal casting for this? - 2/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Open_Season

Meet The Spartans (1st view) - There are times when I wish I didn't want to see everything ever made. This is one of them - 1/5*

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 220px-Meet_the_Spartans_poster

Last edited by Gimli The Twerp on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Donald McKinney
Admin
Admin
Donald McKinney

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 am

Gimli, what were you thinking?? Shocked

Irma la Douce (1963), directed by Billy Wilder, adapted from the play by Alexandre Breffort, this was quite a near the knuckle film when it came out, although it is relativity tame by todays standards. It reunites the stars of The Apartment (1960) and is quite glossy in it's own right, but it's director has made better films. Set in Paris, it has prostitute Irma la Douce (Shirley MacLaine) making a living in a small district of Paris, who makes a healthy living. However, new policeman Nestor Patou (Jack Lemmon) comes on the beat, and he's an honest policeman who won't turn a blind eye to indecency and bribes. When he tries to arrest all the prostitutes, he is removed from the police force and ends up living with Irma la Douce. Nestor wants to be with Irma in a relationship, but cannot bear the thought of Irma being with other men, so with help from local cafe owner Moustache (Lou Jacobi), Nestor creates the alter-ego of Lord X, an English Lord who will seduce Irma, however, Irma falls for Lord X over Nestor, so Nestor has to take drastic measures. It's a very lavish film, and it does have it's laughs and good performances, but it does drag on a bit too long. Nobodys fault, most films back then were like that, but it's not as good as Some Like It Hot (1959) or The Apartment (1960). 3/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Irma

The Tourist (2010), a remake of the 2005 French film Anthony Zimmer, directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, off The Lives of Others (2006), and co-written with Christopher McQuarrie and Julian Fellowes, with a big cast. What could possibly go wrong?? Well... It's confused and slow moving, when it should be the opposite. It has an Englishwoman called Elise Clifton-Ward (Angelina Jolie), being investigated by Scotland Yard during an operation in Paris, but she manages to slip away and get on a train to Venice. She's working for a mysterious man called Alexander Pierce, who has vanished into thin air, after stealing $2 billion from gangster Reginald Shaw (Steven Berkoff). On the train to Venice, Elise meets American tourist Frank (Johnny Depp), who becomes intrigued and obsessed with Elise, but Elise got instructions from Pierce to look for a man with no involvement with the police, that the police could think is Pierce. This ends with Frank, an unsuspecting tourist getting involved with Russian gangsters, the Venitian police and Scotland Yard. Despite a brilliant cast, also including Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Rufus Sewell, it somehow ends up a bit short changed, and you get the feeling that there's a few deleted scenes knocking around that explain more. The final twist is also a bit ridiculous. 2/5

What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 The_Tourist_Poster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've Just Watched: Part 2   What I've Just Watched: Part 2 - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I've Just Watched: Part 2
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next